Vyper Air & data transfer cable: expected behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, after 30 dives in 10 days, downloading after each dive using two different cables alternately and having rinsed the dive computer with fresh water religiously, I conclude that the cable design is just a bit of a kludge. Sometimes it is detected, sometimes it isn't.

Suunto support wasn't much help, quoting from another models manual, claiming the Vyper charges over USB, being unable to provide any documentation for the download cable, etc.

Sigh. Oh well.

My problem is that my Vyper Air will detect the cable, but will not download any data. It will act like it is, and will tell me that the DM5 logs are synced, but it has not added any dives since June 26. For a while, I could download my dives to Subsurface, but now it won't even do that. Luckily, I have a Cobra that I can download my dives into Subsurface and then manually enter my tank pressures pre- and post dive. I have tried downloading from different computers but get the same result with each one. I can also use the same cable to download my wife's info from her Zoop to her DM5 and Subsurface accounts.

As for computer dive operations, everything works as it should. My Vyper Air and Cobra show the exact same info as pertains to the dive. I really like the Vyper Air. It's just that it will no longer download.

I have contacted Suunto support concerning this and have sent them everything they have requested to figure out what is wrong. I have not heard from them in a month and they have not responded to any of my emails. The computer is still under warranty until next June and if I don't hear anything soon (as in before the end of this month) they will be hearing a lot from me. I do not intend to be ignored much longer.
As a follow-up to my previous post, after a few more issues popped up with the computer and several months of getting nowhere with Suunto support, I took my Vyper Air back to the LDS I bought it from. They tested it on some dives but couldn't figure anything out, so they sent it to whichever company now handles US distribution of Suuntos. Today, I picked up my brand new Vyper Ait Novo that they replaced it with.

Now to find some warm water to try it out in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom