Vyper Failure - should I believe my LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suunto pressure transmitter is notorious for releasing that special white smoke if the battery is put in backwards. Yes it is simple to design to protect this, at least for the transmitter, it isn't. If someone has a computer with a dead pressure transducer, it would be an "interesting" experiment

You'd have to be pretty cross-eyed to put the battery in upside down. I'm not even sure if it would fit in the housing if you tried.

Just to be clear. I don't have any reason to doubt your sincerity but are you speculating about this or have you actually seen this happen?

R..

Count me in with another Suunto (Cobra) user with a mint unit that died after a battery change. Suunto tested it and said it was scrap. 20 dives on it.... about 7 yrs old. Never bought another Suunto again. From my research, they are notorious for dying like that. Only my depth gauge worked. I went with an analog spg and wrist computer for deco/depth only. Seems digital spg's die on dive trips when you need them the most. Analog works all the time :)

Thank you to everyone for their observations. You have made me comfortable with the conclusion that I've had a good few years enjoyment out of this device & I should bin it & move on.

I always appreciate the inputs from SBers on matters where i have little knowledge - I try to reciprocate by contributing when destinations or liveaboards where I have good experience are being discussed.

Cheers

John

I have heard of the same issues as well.
The pressure sensor of the Gekko of one of my buddies died after a battery change.
I don't see any reason to blame the dive shop for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom