Vyper screen won't show all crystals/characters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NozBzh

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello

I have a problem with my Vyper. It has around 700 dives, I bought it new about 18 months ago.

I changed the battery in early January, and I did about 20 dives with it and it worked fine. Then I didn't dive for almost a month. When I went diving again last week, I noticed when I took it from my bag that I could see some of the liquid crystals on the screen, very odd since it should be in sleep mode. I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. Well, something happened but it didn't turn on. Most of the crystals would show on the screen (like when you get it out of sleep mode) for about half a second, then many of them disappeared. It does that anytime I press a button. The crystals that appear are completely random, they change all the time. So it's definitely NOT a screen problem.

I tried to change the battery again, same result. After a few days I realised that when I hold the battery really tight with my fingers, it starts normally. This stays for a short while, I can even go in the logbook and all that. After a minute or 2, most of the screen disappears and I'm left again with random crystals on...

This makes me think the problem might come from contacts with the battery, but it's just a wild guess.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Noe

Just thought I'd add some photos, much easier than trying to describe my problem!

20130217_143554.jpg20130217_143603.jpg20130217_143613.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing? Chris@Suunto?

I suppose I'll just go back to the place that changed my battery (Aqualung centre if it makes any difference), but I'm pretty sure they'll just say "send it to Suunto in Finland". From Indonesia I guess I'll be better off buying a new computer altogether. Probably not Suunto this time, mine didn't last very long...
Also, I need to fly to get to the closest dive equipment retailer so it's not like driving to town and ask at the local dive store...

NozBzh,

I am sure there is nothing that you could do to resolve this issue yourself. It may be a result from an improper battery change. I would advise you to send your computer to an authorized Suunto service center for evaluation. You can locate the nearest one by the link provided:
Suunto Dealer Locator
You should also send a copy of your original receipt of purchase along with the computer.

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Thanks Chris.

As far as I can tell, there is no service centre in Indonesia... I found retailers though, but I assume that's not what I need. Can you please confirm that there is no place in Indonesia that could have a look at my computer.

I need to go to Malaysia for a few days soon, do you know if I could find a service centre there?

I have both receipts for purchase and battery change last month.

Thanks

NozBzh,

There are no service centers in Indonesia or Malaysia. The closest service centers are located in Thailand and Singapore.
image.jpg
You can follow the link provided for Dive Supply which has multiple service centers in Thailand.
Dive Supply

Best Regards,
Chris from Suunto

Back
Top Bottom