Vyper vs Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlemieux

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the market for a new dive computer to be used for recreational diving (including nitrox). I have been doing a fair amount of research and have settled on the Suunto brand primarily because they use RGBM and their reputation for quality. However, I'm not sure to get the Vyper or the Vytecl.

These models seem to be very similar in their feature set. The main differences that I see are that Vytec enables a wireless pressure gauge, allows one to switch gases during the dive and allows one to dive on nitrox with O2 percentage above 51%.

However, there is a big difference in price. Leisurepro.com lists the Vytec at $549 and the Vyper at $304.

Here's my question. Are there other differences between the two models to justify Vytec's price premium? For example, do they both implement that RGBM the same? Is Vytec more rugged than Vyper? What are people's experiences with both models?

I have both, in fact. I use the Vytec with transmitter as my primary and have the Vyper on a console as a redundant. I am probably not the best one to comment on the RGBM implementation in both computers. There have been some heated debates on the models used in both computers.

If you dare read the thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31655&highlight=doppler+and+rgbm

I think the Vytec is worth it alone for the hoseless air integration. This boils down to whether this convenience is worth the price tag.

If you ever have thought of doing technical diving, the Vytec will allow you to switch gas mixtures on the fly to use 100% for deco. Up to three gases. That is the real difference besides the transmitter. Being able to do this gas switch is worth every penny in cold water.

AFAIK, the algorithm is the same, with the Vytec having the option of backing off a little on the RGBM factors that make it more conservative. In normal use, it is the same. I did about 60 dives using both at varying depth/time, and they always showed the same NDL.

They use the same(or very very similar) case, so ruggedness seems to be the same.

A few differences I know about, in addition to the obvious ones like air integration and gas switching capabilities:

The Vytec has user-switchable units, Vypers either does or doesn't depending on when it was manufactured. The sampling interval for the profile can be set on the computer for the Vytec, but only using the computer interface on the Vyper. In gauge mode, the Vytec uses the center area as a big time display, counts to the second, and can be reset for uses such as in decompression stops. In the Vyper, the center area is unused for gauge mode, and there is no timer feature.

I think that's about it.

My take on this is, if you see yourself getting a transmitter and using it as an AI computer, get the Vytec. If not, get the Vyper. Obviously if any of the above differences matter greatly to you, then get the Vytec, but I doubt any of them will. (The timer in gauge mode is nice, but hardly worth an extra $300 if you're just going to use it for that purpose.)

Depending on your the size of your bank roll you may want to consider the Vyper with an SPG on a short hose. I have a Vytec with a wireless transmitter and I think that the Vyper with a carefully placed SPG would be almost as nice in the water.

I'm betting the price that you have on Leisure Pro does not include the transmitter. The transmitter is probably going to run you another $400-450 on LP, so you are talking $1000 total for the wireless Vytec setup. I got mine by "accident" on eBay. I made a low bid and then haggled with the guy AFTER the auction closed and got him down to $800 for the Vytec, transmitter, and factory download cable($160 :wacko: )! It would have cost me $1400 to buy the same setup at list from the local LDS that carries Suunto stuff (my regular LDS does not carry them).

Is $650-$1100 worth it to not have to glance at your hip every once in a while? That is a nice new regulator, or a drysuit! If I had not run into the deal that I did, then I would probably have a Vyper with an SPG. You decide.

If my transmitter craps out, I will probably replace it with an SPG. Unless, I find some sunken treasure worth $250 to split the difference. :wink: So far it has been a rock and I don't expect any trouble from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom