Want to buy the right GP4 light/tray setup - please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Solas don’t have user replaceable batteries if that is an issue for you. I have a 3800 video light and some benefits are that it’s easy (and really quick) to charge within a surface interval if you need to with no worry for leaks/flooding since it’s totally sealed. It was important to me because I have a housing and 2 strobes to worry about already. I also like that they double as dive lights really easily with the neoprene hand accessory if i decide to not take my camera. I’m hauling a lot of gear already and am not carrying a separate torch for night dives. The Sea Dragons have user replaceable batteries which means you can also pre-charge batteries to ready yourself for the next dive. I think the charge time is slower on the Sea Dragons. I would compare run time and charge time for your needs as well.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I went from a GoPro to a rig and ended up buying the Sola to mount on my cold shoe and not using my Sea Dragons because I only wanted and had space for one light and needed more lumens. You will obviously get more lumens buying 2 Solas vs 2 Sea Dragons in your situation but you still need to address how you will mount your GoPro and what arms if you go the way of Sola. You could still get the Sea Life tray and use the arms plus flex arms then get the attachment accessory that supports the ball mount of the Sola.

Go with what you think you will use and keep in the long run. Otherwise, you’ll have to buy again and will need to unload in the secondhand market. Keep that in consideration.

The Solas don’t have user replaceable batteries if that is an issue for you. I have a 3800 video light and some benefits are that it’s easy (and really quick) to charge within a surface interval if you need to with no worry for leaks/flooding since it’s totally sealed. It was important to me because I have a housing and 2 strobes to worry about already. I also like that they double as dive lights really easily with the neoprene hand accessory if i decide to not take my camera. I’m hauling a lot of gear already and am not carrying a separate torch for night dives. The Sea Dragons have user replaceable batteries which means you can also pre-charge batteries to ready yourself for the next dive. I think the charge time is slower on the Sea Dragons. I would compare run time and charge time for your needs as well.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I went from a GoPro to a rig and ended up buying the Sola to mount on my cold shoe and not using my Sea Dragons because I only wanted and had space for one light and needed more lumens. You will obviously get more lumens buying 2 Solas vs 2 Sea Dragons in your situation but you still need to address how you will mount your GoPro and what arms if you go the way of Sola. You could still get the Sea Life tray and use the arms plus flex arms then get the attachment accessory that supports the ball mount of the Sola.

Go with what you think you will use and keep in the long run. Otherwise, you’ll have to buy again and will need to unload in the secondhand market. Keep that in consideration.

The Backscatter package comes with a tray and arms for $200 less than the Sealife package; does that change anything for your thoughts? I could use the extra $200 to buy a flip system. Also, can the Sealife lights be used as primary lights if desired? TY again!

I would go backscatter. As dive lights alone the Solas are better for that based on shape, size, and mounting options. better value, too! Much better!

I have both and can send you a pic when I’m home tomorrow night.

Last edited:
I would go backscatter. As dive lights alone the Solas are better for that based on shape, size, and mounting options. better value, too! Much better!

I have both and can send you a pic when I’m home tomorrow night.

Awesome, thank you! I was also a bit worried about the SOLA's only having a 90 degree field and the SD's having 120 degrees; will having 2 lights on the tray (instead of just 1) make this a non-issue? What about the included diffusers - useful equipment or more hassle than they are worth?

Also, has anyone ever figured out a creative way whatsoever to charge the SOLA's inbetween dives (such as using a handheld charging pack similar to what you can buy for a cellphone)? Thanks again!

Awesome, thank you! I was also a bit worried about the SOLA's only having a 90 degree field and the SD's having 120 degrees; will having 2 lights on the tray (instead of just 1) make this a non-issue? Also, has anyone ever figured out a creative way whatsoever to charge the SOLA's inbetween dives (such as using a handheld charging pack similar to what you can buy for a cellphone)? Thanks again!

I don’t think it’ll be an issue for subjects you want detail on. GoPro will be a wide angle lens so you’ll need to be relatively close. For things far away where you notice the light cuts off based on angle, the light won’t light the subject enough for good exposure anyway and may lose color and you’ll want to use a filter to get the red back into your photo and video and will rely on natural light.

With two lights you can angle them to minimize it anyway.

You won’t need to charge between dives if doing 2-3 tanks unless you keep them on 100% of the time and/or often at the highest level. I charge them right before my night dive on a liveaboard and have outlets at my disposal. If you are worried about battery then that is where the sea dragon may reign champion since you can buy extra batteries, pre-charge, and just pop in fresh ones. It will add to your cost but give you flexibility and convenience. Just be careful of the o-ring and flooding as with your GoPro :)

You won’t need to charge between dives if doing 2-3 tanks unless you keep them on 100% of the time and/or often at the highest level.

Agreed - I consistently get 2 dives out of my SOLA 2100s leaving them on for the entire dive at the lowest level of brightness. This is the case in both warm and cold water

The Backscatter package comes with a tray and arms for $200 less than the Sealife package; does that change anything for your thoughts? I could use the extra $200 to buy a flip system. Also, can the Sealife lights be used as primary lights if desired? TY again!

I sent you a PM. I may be able to help you out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom