Want to get wet!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm down here, in Chincoteague, Va. and would like to get some time in doing a shore dive solo. Just a short way out and no more than 25' deep. Never did a shore dive or solo but I'd like to give it a try.

Any advice on the best entry with slight wave action? Thanks for any help.
Steve

0-24 dives is not a lot of dives for going solo.

Making your first shore dive as your first solo dive is not a very good combination either.

Pete

Well, I'm back in NJ and I didn't go for the solo shore dive. With your statement and advice from others I decided to hold off 'till I got some shore dives in up here with someone that's done it before or with an instructor.
Thanks,
Steve

STOO, you're absolutely right. I wanted so badly to dive Chincoteague but , I guess on my mind, I knew it wasn't the right time. Thanks anyway.:D
Steve

STOO, you're absolutely right. I wanted so badly to dive Chincoteague but , I guess on my mind, I knew it wasn't the right time. Thanks anyway.:D
Steve

I can fully appreciate the conflict you had. Just remember to listed to voice in the back of your head.

Meanwhile keep diving often, do your homework and at some point your experience diving will line up with your understanding of the real risks and ways of managing them. With that behind you you can decide if going solo is for you.

Pete

I can fully appreciate the conflict you had. Just remember to listed to voice in the back of your head.

I started another (tongue in cheek) thread here about the "Dark Side" of solo, and a recurring theme is the ability to call a dive without any sort of pressure from a buddy or group. That's when that little "voice in your head" really needs to be heeded...

The "thing" with solo is that there isn't anyone to haul your butt back to shore except you, so best to avoid getting in over your head, if you'll excuse the bad pun...

Some years ago, I had the worst solo experience I've ever had when, for some reason, I started to feel nauseous and then dizzy and actually felt like I might loose consciousness in 100' of water, 3 miles offshore. It got to the point where I had removed my weight belt and was carrying it in my hand as I hustled back to the ascent line, thinking that if I did black out, the belt would fall, and I would at least end up on the surface... in a shipping lane mind you, but it seemed like the best alternative! To this day, I have no idea what caused that feeling, but it might have been that I had had a bit of a flu bug the week before, or possibly a bit of a carotid sinus reflex from a too-tight neck seal in a new drysuit.

After a few minutes on the surface, and a banana, I went back down to retrieve a stage bottle I had left on the wreck, felt great and had a terrific dive.

I hadn't felt "perfect" when I started the dive, but had driven 4 hours, booked a hotel room and dammit, I was going to dive. In hindsight, I should have listened to that little voice and sat out that day until I felt right. That dive was as close as I have ever come to "buying the farm" (well except for the time I almost got washed over a dam, but that's another story...!)

Steve,

I enjoyed your thread, a classic example of "hearing the voice" and actually listening to it. That, plus the realization that we aren't bullet-proof, is one of the most critical safety-related skills neded for solo diving. Seems like you are on the way ;-)

I always hear voices, but it would be best if I didn't listen.

I always hear voices, but it would be best if I didn't listen.

As long as your name isn't Sam... and it's a dog talking... you'll be fine! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom