Want to Up grade Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squidboy:
Sorry for using the word goggles instead of Mask forgive me
Momentary loss of self-control. Just couldn't help myself :).

On a more serious note, I'm nearsighted, but wear bifocals with a near vision correction that more or less cancels out my distance prescription. With a non-presciption mask I can nicely read gauges and see things up close, but things at a distance are a bit blurry. What works best is a "see under" mask from www.prescriptiondivemasks.com in San Diego. Distance presciption on the top, with a large non-corrected section on the bottom for looking at close up stuff.

g'day fellas,
no offence, those masks look pretty weird, like flies' eyes.....
anyhow, do you really see 350% more with those masks?
another question (a bit irrelevent): how come all military divers tend to have masks with black skirts, wouldnt they prefer for vision since they would be doing all those dangerous things?
cheers
kenny

I wear bifocal eyeglasses and had a real need for near vision correction on the left to see my gauges. The LDS sent my mask out and for #175 had bifocal overlays bonded to the inside of the mask, best glasses I own!

Get fully corrected and you eyes will thank you. My eyes feel so much better. I even wear it for snorkel laps in the pool and when skindiving. I tried my uncorrected mask one night in the pool thinking it wold be smart to save wear and tear onm my prescription mask, forget it! BTW my uncorrected far vision isn't that bad but it adds up over time.

WWIW I tried the contact lense route but my eyelids were too tight and the contacts kept moving around.

Look at your total dive investment and do it right.

Pete

Hey kjpwong,

Lots of divers, not just military prefer black skirts because they do not let light in. a clear skirt does not allow you to see more under water. You may be able to see thought the clear skirt on the surface but once you are under water the water causes light to refract when traveling through the transparent skirt. You may see shapes or movement but you won't actually "see" anything in the skirt.

As for the HydroOptix. yes you do see more. Those 'bug eye' lenses can wrap around your face like a giving you a larger peripheral and vertical field of view, also because of the curved lens there is no more refraction so everything you see is now true size and distance. Instead of having tunnel vision like regular mask with the HydroOptix mask you have a field of view that matches your vision on the surface. Think about that for a while. How much more you normally see on the surface than under water, and then imagine seeing underwater as well as you do on the surface. The mask rocks....

Back
Top Bottom