Wanted: "Uber" digital depth gauge!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teksimple

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Dave Shaw recently set the record for the deepest rebreather dive at 271mfw (889ffw). He used dual VR-3's for monitoring his depth. However, the VR-3 has a published maximum depth range of 300m. Dave readily admits that the accuracy of such gauges is questionable at such extreme depths, and the temperature effects on the transducer are not insignificant.

To me the problem is an interesting one when human beings start pushing the limits of their instruments. Now, given enough money, I could put together a kick-*** instrument that would be way more accurate than anything handheld that I know, using something like this SBE50 7000m Oceanographic Pressure Transducer . But I don't think divers are going to spend $15k on a depth gauge anytime soon.

So does anyone know of a handheld digital depth gauge accurate to 400 meters, or does one still need to be built?

If you are really working in Baghdad in order to pay for a "tricked-out Mark 15.5 CCR" (whatever that is) like you say in your profile than you have a much bigger pair of cahonnes than I do. You are either much man or crazy! But whatever the answer is, stay safe over there and come back in one piece.

I am just kidding of course, but if you need money that bad, statistically it is probably safer to try to rob banks here in the US than it is to work in Baghdad. Plus there are more places to eat in the US, the food is better and you don't have all those bullets whizzing around you and bombs being dropped on you, not to mention the suicide bombers. And if you should get kidnapped, you have to worry about having your head cut off, I mean that can't be a pleasant thought. And even if you escape all those things you still have to listen to the sounds of gongs going off 5 times a day. I mean, what is that going to do to your hearing? Far be it for me to criticize another man's game plan, but you might want to rethink your strategy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom