Wanted: Uwatec IR778 IR via USB interface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lavachickie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A long shot, but thought I'd ask -- anyone have one of these lying around they need to sell off to a loving home? :)

PM me, please, and let's make a deal.

Short answer: Amazon.com: Syba SD-U1IRDA-NM USB Fast Infra-Red Adapter: Electronics (this is what I use.) Buy it and plug it in, your PC will load a generic driver that will work. Put the dongle on a USB extender cable and aim it right into your DC's IR window. All is well.

OK here goes the long answer....
(Infrared Communication | IrDA Protocol)
IrDA defined four kinds of infrared links to support different data rates. Included in these links are Serial Infrared (SIR) supporting speeds up to 115.2 Kbps, Medium Infrared (MIR) supporting 0.576 Mbps and 1.152 Mbps data rates, Fast Infrared (FIR) supporting a 4.0 Mbps data rate, and Very Fast Infrared (VFIR) supporting 14.0 Mbps.
In addition to the base standards, IrDA has specified several optional layers such as:
•Tiny TP (Tiny Transport Protocol) provide independently flow controlled transport connections segmentation and reassembly.
•IrCOMM determines how different devices can talk to each other via infrared.
•IrOBEX. (IrDA Object Exchange) is a communications protocol that facilitates the exchange of binary objects between devices

LM-IAS (IrDA link management protocol information-access services) provides a set of services that allows stations to advertise information describing their capabilities to peer stations.

I hate to double post or edit, but (my bad) forgot this: SmartTRAK - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

-"downloads" is at the very bottom. This is the software that you will need.

ScubaPro's "marketing style" has annoyed me for years but I think that their Uwatec SmartPro is a rock-solid, highly supported recreational dive computer. The SmartTRAK software isn't that bad either.

Waiting for some windows 7 "plug-and-play" USB IrDA from eBay, I'll post once CanadaPost starts working again and I receive it.

But basically, if you're not on Windows 7 most USB IrDA should work, Syba is a good one or Startech is another good choice.

If you want Win 7 compatible, the Uwatec one isn't compatible, you'll have to buy one like me or the Polartech (which is more Overpriced than Uwatec)

Back
Top Bottom