wanting to dive lake martin this spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Reefman, I may be up for it, dont know what we have planned for that weekend, I will have to check with the boss (wife) and let you know. I am in need of some bottom time myself. I will get back with you tonight.

bump.
i may be heading that way for a veterans day dive. If anyone wants to meet me let me know. I may need help zipping my wetsuit since it tends to shrink this time of year.

Hey Chris, just saw your post...guess its too late. Got to go back to work tomorrow. maybe next time.

Bump
It has been a while, and I'm coming that way for labor day weekend. Has anybody been out lately?

i wouldnt mind taggin along one day if you guys dont mind. im a rookie though and my dive buddy is about to leave on a 13wk contract, itll be nice to meet some new folks.

My advice for diving in Lake Martin is highly jaded and slightly biased...towards NOT DIVING there; I got two BOGUS tickets from marine patrol or Fish & Game or whoever, for not diving with a dive flag (which they pulled out of the water in over 50 feet of water) and one for being with in 50 of a public boat access ramp (which is where I had to go to retrieve my flag from their boat).

Other reasons include but not limited to:
1. VERY HEAVY, AND INCONSIDERATE BOAT TRAFFIC (especially holiday weekends)
--Actually saw a post on the Lake Martin forum @ lakesonline.com where one boater said that maybe boaters needed divers to educate them about the exclusion zone rules for dive flags and divers in the water (that is included in boater education material, BTW).
2. Very poor visibility most of the year except when the water is very cold in the late, later fall, or early spring
3. Very cold water required for visibility greater than about 5-10 feet.

I am just not a fan of Lake Martin after my bad experience but I do know that there a decent number of divers that frequent the Old Kowligia Bridge (which is where I had my run-in) and quite a few that frequent Acapulco/Chicken/Chimney rock area, but the boat traffic is tremendous and I have even heard of other divers being towed by boaters "stealing" dive flags.

Good luck, I hope if you do go, you will have a better time than me!
Mike

Sorry I missed these messages before I went. Left straight from work Friday and didn't get back on the computer till after the trip.

My buddy just finished OW cert and we were both wanting to just get wet. We entered at the normal spot and there was a ton of boat traffic, like the above posts have warned. The dive started at 12:30; vis ~12', Min temp 81*F, Max depth 33', bottom time 42 min. Found a few old coke bottles, a lawn chair, and bud light cans galore. We stayed within a few hundred yards of the base of the old bridge because of all the boaters, but still ran into a few nice sized catfish, bass, and bream. Overall it was a nice, easy dive, and a good one to introduce a newer diver to muck diving at its finest. I saved about 1200 psi for looking for lost items around our hosts' pier, and came up with a pair of long lost Ray Ban sunglasses they dropped a few months ago. We were all happy about that.

If I'm back in the area again soon I'll definitely post for those wanting to brave the elements.

LOST ITEM!: A flashlight clip broke, and I lost my Intova ICOM Torch. It's silver and was on a retractable cable. That light has been on a lot of dives with me! If anyone is hopping back in and comes across it, I'll pay a reward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom