Wanting to Dive the Comal River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Chris,
Thanks for the information. Will it be insane to dive the weekend of June 27 due to the toobers? That's the weekend I am leaning towards. It would be great if you and anybody else could come out.
Brent

Hey Brent, I posted a quick report from Comal trip today. Vis is good upstream of the tube-chute - but terrible further on.

The weekend should be fine. Just know that as the day goes on, more and more tubers will be in the water, which degrades the vis. If you did an early morning dive, you'd have the river to yourself and have great vis.

ChrisPete, Rumbum, & I have dove it several times.
I thought that we saw more aquatic life on the upper half (above the bridge), but the lower half (loop that starts at the bridge) is Much more convenient. You put in at the bridge, ride the loop & exit at the "last public exit" you can then walk back to the bridge and start it over again. The walk from the exit to the bridge is probably 150-200yards. It's not a short stroll, but it's not too too bad. That and the water feels very refreshing after luggin the gear back.
Diving the full thing requires you to leave one vehicle at the last public exit, and taking the other vehicle up to the park. Doing more than one dive is a bit of a pain. I should also warn you that if you do the full river, there are three tube shoots. I know several people that have rode the shutes, but most people prefer to walk around them. That in itself can be a bit dangerous & a pain as the rocks can be quite slick, you have to peek above the surface frequently so you see them before you get to them. The first shute is more like a water ride at an amusement park and the water is moving REAL fast. That in itself freaks some people out.

Hope you have a great time. It's a real easy dive, & easy to figure the whole thing out, so don't be discouraged because your not familiar with the place. Also sounds like there are plenty of people with experience that arewilling to meet up and dive with ya.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom