Warm Water Considerations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jayaspock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My friend and I are signed up to do some dives out in Catalina in a couple weeks. Admittedly we are excited to see some of the non-native species that are haning out because of the unusually warm water. I have heard several reports of hammerheads out near the island. Is there anything we should know or lookout for in terms of sharks because of the warm water?

My friend and I are signed up to do some dives out in Catalina in a couple weeks. Admittedly we are excited to see some of the non-native species that are haning out because of the unusually warm water. I have heard several reports of hammerheads out near the island. Is there anything we should know or lookout for in terms of sharks because of the warm water?

You should know that despite the kayakers reports the chances of you seeing a shark diving at Čatalina are very slim, except for maybe horn sharks.

Your chances of encountering a shark at BBBC (Bill Bushings Beach Club) aka CDP (Catalina Dive Park) are as equal to encountering a dangerous shark on the main street in your home town of Torrance.

I did read, I think on this board, that in 2014 more people were killed taking selfie pictures than sharks - so leave your camera at home.

However please bear in mind the water is the home of many sharks. You are an uninvited guest.

I would suggest that you read the thread immediately after this thread titled " SCUBA Radio -Farnsworth Banks first dive" It is a document of a dive that took place 55 years ago and the encounters with sharks.

The very last paragraph of the post is an encounter I had and didn't know I had until I was on the boat , which is a s follows:

~Or when you were followed to the boat by a rather substantial hammerhead. You were totally oblivious to it's presence. You just slowly took your time snorkeling back unaware that a large shark was interested in you as lunch. That is until you reached the swim-step and noticed that Dick Petter had his rifle pointed at you all the divers were congregated at the swim step with hands outstretched to yank you into the boat.

It was Sheila who later broke the tension when she said "Sam I was watching you play tag with that shark when I was eating a chicken for lunch --bones and all"

What adventures we had on every dive --"

Good Luck
SDM,111

Very unlikely that you'll see one on a dive - but I was out there with Truth Aquatics last week, and we did see a small hammerhead as we were moving between sites - I think it was after we left Farnsworth Banks. Caught a glimpse of the shape of the head for a fraction of a second, then it was gone. Totally amazing though.
And conditions were spectacular. Warm water, unreal vis. You'll have an awesome time, even if you don't get to dive with hammerheads.

Back
Top Bottom