Warm water diving 3mm wetsuit or lycra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian:
I'm going to Myrtle Beach in early July for some diving. Then in late Aug. will be going on a cruise and will dive in Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. I'm a warm water diver.

I'm thinking of buying a full wetsuit at least for protection (jellyfish, etc.). In those places would a full lycra skin be good enough, or should I go for 3mm?

Thanks.

if you are woried about jellies you can get a sunscreen the repels them

Thanks a lot for your advise.

3mm it is. I searched and found a close out sale of Tilos Titanium 3mm full suit at $60 + shipping. Just ordered it. Will try it out in Myrtle Beach in about 10 days.

I think I'll also get my wife a lycra full suit for snorkeling too. Her size is a bit more difficult to fit, and might need to go to children's size.

It was interesting. In one site it described that women typically need more thermo protection because women loses more heat due to having more curves on the body:D

A wetsuit will kill you in the Cozumel heat. Bring sun block and a lycra skin, not a wetsuit. The water is bathtub warm, 80F, and that is offshore. The water near the beaches is about 90F. However, although the surface water of Myrtle Beach is warm, it is possible that one will penetrate a thermocline on a deep dive. You need to send mail to the dive operator. Evidently, you have done that. Good luck with your wetsuit. Recently, I ordered a 5mm wetsuit from "Spiros" (Oceanus) in Greece. Custom made and delivered in 10 days! This type of suit is generally used by freedivers and the quality of the Greek suit looks very good. $200 including shipping.

Back
Top Bottom