Warm water rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSaipan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Tobin,

I hope to get a DSS soon.

Here are my specs

5'11", 195lbs. I dive with a 3mm suit about half of the year. The other half I only use a rash guard with a swim suit.

I currently use a Zeagle Express Tech (which I really like and will keep for a loaner/backup). I use 8 lbs with the 3mm and 6 lbs with my rash guard. I have my weight in cam band pockets. I dive with 80 AL single tanks.

I might get a steel 130 and don't want to change rigs. What is your recommandation for a rig? Thanks

Tobin,

I hope to get a DSS soon.

Here are my specs

5'11", 195lbs. I dive with a 3mm suit about half of the year. The other half I only use a rash guard with a swim suit.

I currently use a Zeagle Express Tech (which I really like and will keep for a loaner/backup). I use 8 lbs with the 3mm and 6 lbs with my rash guard. I have my weight in cam band pockets. I dive with 80 AL single tanks.

I might get a steel 130 and don't want to change rigs. What is your recommandation for a rig? Thanks

The ideal back plate for al 80's and a 3mm suit is not the ideal plate for steel 130's + 3mm suit.

With a 3mm suit and al 80 you need about 8 lbs of total ballast and a SS plate an harness will provide about 6 lbs and your reg will provide about 2.

A steel 130 is about 2 lbs negative empty vs +4 for an al 80, they are about 6 lbs more negative.

With a 130 you need a lightweight kydex plate to avoid being over weighted.

With a SS plate and al 80 you can use a very small wing, our Torus 17 is plenty.

If you choose a kydex plate for use with the 130's you should consider a LCD 20 wing.

3mm suit + Stainless Plate + steel 130? Bad idea becasue you will be over weighted by ~4 -6 lbs, and a larger wing is never the right solution for being over weighted.

Recap:

Medium Kydex Plate
Hogarthian Harness
LCD 20 Wing
(cambands and wedge blocks are included)

Tobin

Great, thanks. One more question. If Mama says No to the steel 130, so I then stick with my rental AL 80's, would your recommended config. change?

Great, thanks. One more question. If Mama says No to the steel 130, so I then stick with my rental AL 80's, would your recommended config. change?

With al 80's you be happier with a Stainless Plate, and you could use a Torus 17 wing.

The stainless steel plate will provide ballast up over your buoyant lungs, particularly helpful with buoyant cylinders like al 80's

With a Stainless Steel Plate, harness, regulator and full al 80 your rig will only be about -10 lbs, so the 17 will easily float it.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom