Warm water weenie?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

es601:
My son claimed he was fine in a 3mm short sleeved shorty but I made him wear a 1mm full skin under it anyways.
Wise move on the skin, Ed...even if not for warmth, a skin will keep you protected against any potential accidental brushes with stinging hydroids, coral or even jellyfish larvae (some of which can be microscopic) floating in the water column that you or he might encounter. I always wear at least a skin, even in the warmest of water for just that reason ('cause I'll tell you one thing- it sure isn't for a fashion statement :wink:).

:D

I also use a 3mm beanie over my mostly bald skull. Lot of extra warmth for negligible amount of neoprene.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Charlie, not far behind you on that one!

DTB1981:
I have been diving in 84 F water here with a 3/2 mil full suit. It is now 77 and I am starting to get cold by my second or third dive. I think it could have something to do with the air temps dropping from 95 to 73 though. I got a 5 mil hood and it seems to help a lot on the later dives. Is it too soon to get a 5 mil suit?

I know many here in HI dive 3/2. I also know many that get cold when the water goes below 80. Due to that fact I got a 4/3 suit and figured that if I get a little warm I just let some water in at my neck. I am 5'9" and 170 with little natural insulation. This made more economical sense than having two suits.

I have dove 76 - 78 (deep water) and not been cold yet. I don't wear a hood but I do unzip and roll my wetsuit down to my waist during SI. If there is a little wind blowing I will also put on a shirt.

Depending on what you do during your SI it very well might be a factor of over chilling on the surface and thereby increasing the cumulative hypothermia effects. Many people ignore the need to trying to keep warm between dives.

I am in a Farmer john 3mm now with 5mm hood and gloves. The Water temp is now 68 I dont want to buy a new suit with only a couple more months of "cold" any sugestions

Of course an old suit may not be 3mm or 5mm anymore. It's all about the insulation baby. A pathetic and ancient 5mm may not line up with brand new 3mm. Be sure when it's time to get a new suit, sentimentality doesn't win out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom