Warning--Close call in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm betting that Pompano Beach has the same laws against "discharging a firearm" within city limits that most cities have. And yes, a speargun is legally a firearm, because it uses "stored energy" to "discharge a projectile". I'm not sure if I'd have returned the spear with a good bend in it, or just called the PD to issue a summons for the illegal discharge. Somehow, I don't think just handing it back will have changed the habits of the guy who loosed it.

.... And yes, a speargun is legally a firearm, because it uses "stored energy" to "discharge a projectile".
So a super-soaker squirt gun would fit that definition. Under Florida law, a speargun is not a firearm.

Do the research - Citation > Florida Statues 790.001 (6)

Let 'em tell it to the judge.
"(6) “Firearm” means...any destructive device; "
They've got a fixation on explosive power (I guess rail guns can't kill?) and slingshots, but back in the US, most states aren't so concerned about HOW the power is stored and released, just whether it can kill someone at the receiving end. Even if Officer Friendly just takes 'em down, books 'em, lets 'em wait till Monday to see the judge...an impression will be made. If the kid doesn't say "Damn, I'd better not play with that again!", he needs cement shoes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom