WARNING: Impact of a deep saturation dive on Male semen quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Impact of a deep saturation dive on semen quality.

Aitken RJ, Buckingham D, Richardson D, Gardiner JC, Irvine DS.

MRC Reproductive Biology Unit, 37 Chalmers Street, Edinburgh EH3 9ET, Scotland. jaitken@mail.newcastle.edu.au

The demonstration dive 'Aurora' has provided an opportunity to study the impact of extreme hyperbaric conditions on male fertility. This operation involved a 33-day diving programme during which divers were exposed to a maximum pressure of 4.6 Mega Pascals (Mpa) for 7 days. At days - 4, + 27, + 34, + 82 and + 263 relative to the initiation of the dive, semen samples were analysed to determine the quality of spermatogenesis and the functional competence of the spermatozoa. A dramatic fall in semen quality was observed in association with the dive and by day + 82 the potential fertility of the men was seriously compromised as evidenced by oligoasthenoteratozoospermic semen profiles and the poor fertilizing potential of the spermatozoa. These studies indicate, for the first time, that the severe hyperbaric conditions associated with deep saturation dives have a profound effect on male reproductive function.

PMID: 10762438 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
male

Awesome!

Where can I sign up to do this to myself? Are the effects permanent?? :)

Can you tell I can't stand kids?

Heh...those could be questions better left unanswered...

Those were the days. When you get to be my age it doesn't matter anymore.

Omicron, you are a kid, but I can put you in touch with Dr. Z.... if you like. Not really gentle, but he gets the job done. :D

:(

And remember: A condom WILL NOT protect you from DCS!

Could sperm, being swimmers, get DCS? Maybe those boys
are just bent????=-)

Hey, maybe I should change my "no-diving-instructor-never-again"-attitude:confused: seems as if it would make things a lot easier:D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom