Warning -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Warning – Avoid Using Internet Explorer 7 Preview with ScubaBoard
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Unfortunately, Internet Explorer Public Preview Beta 2 has some serious flaws working with ScubaBoard forum software. The primary concerns are. My guess is one or two of these items will have to be fixed within a patch in the forum software (without placing blame of any kind change would be required to remain compatible). Of course the code in IE 7 Preview is debug enabled so suffers from generally bad performance overall, my guess is this will all improve dramatically for final release. And who knows even though I’m successful using forum software elsewhere and can use the quick reply box at the very end of posts, the final fixes may be a joint effort.
<o:p> </o:p>
Critical Bugs:<o:p></o:p>
*It is not possible to type, backspace, or properly display text in the new post composition view
*CTD – sudden and instant leaps to my fine desktop wallpaper no gracious goodbyes from IE.
*Hard Lockups when switching tasks, can’t return to the ScubaBoard, tasks prompts it has stopped responding do you wish to close the window.
Annoying Bugs:<o:p></o:p>
*IMG references don’t paint while in the new post composition view
*Scrolling is broken with Mouse Wheel in long forum lists it stutters and stops then after long delay quickly catches up skipping posts you haven’t yet seen.
Likely Considered a Feature<o:p></o:p>
*In view popup references open a new tab (the “new” window metaphor in IE 7) instead of a new floating window making tiling difficult without remembering to open references by right clicking to choose open in a new window.

Why would any of this require a change in the Forum software? (Hint....it wouldn't)

Web sites don't need to be reprogrammed to work with a new browser.

If a new browser is released that breaks a lot of websites, don't use it, because it's the browser that's broken.

Actually that's not true, controls used in site design may have to be tweaked with a new browser specification. IE 7 adheres to some new requirements documentation. However, that said I fully agree which is why I indicated a good chunk of this lies with MicroSquish. And in fact they may clean up all their own bugs.

ScubaBoard is for the most part XHTML compliant which is about as strict as you can get. What few bugs we have in the code are mostly because of the dynamic content (i.e. the crazy stuff people put in their posts). Looking at your list of issues it would appear they are almost all on the browser's end... things like scrolling speed, what you can or cant type and so forth would all be on the browser end. Clearly if there are any issues with the software they will be resolved when IE 7 is actually released but with the list of problems you posted it sounds like there is still work for MS to do.

Fully agreed, no question it is a beta. I've also submitted my report to MS with references to sites visited and expected and unexpected results. I saw vast improvements between beta 1 and this beta 2 release preview, hoping for another exponential leap forward.

Hmm, vBulletin software is used for almost all serious web forums. Their software works with Mozilla/Firefox, Opera and current IE versions... Sounds like MS better clean up their act.

(Please excuse me if I missed any other browsers.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom