Warranties on gray market sales

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But it makes an arguable point to a manufactuer when you order something through amazon being authorized, and it comes shipped from leisurepro.

First, I think many here are getting a little confused on terms, how the MM Act applies, and what, EXACTLY, the scuba manufacturers are claiming is void if you purchase from the wrong place.

The law allow the issuance of two type of warranties, the Warranty and the Limited Warranty. Scuba regulators carry both. The Warranty covers the regulator against defects in workmanship and against failures not expected within the warranty period. The Limited Lifetime Warranty covers the participation of the factory in routine maintenance costs.....ie, get is serviced each year by an authorized dealer and they will pay for the parts.

I KNOW OF NO INSTANCE were a scuba manufacturer refused to correct a factory defect, a safety defect, or anything covered under the Warranty because it was purchased from a non-authorized dealer. It was previously stated that ScubaPro was more than happy repair the computer purchased from Leisure Pro and was later found to be defective. The law is clear......a manufacturer is bound by the terms of the standard Warranty, regardless of the sales history of the product. The Limited Lifetime Warranty may be, and is routinely, full of lots of conditions, precepts, and limitations. If you don't take it where we say, we will not pay for the parts. This is allowed completely by the MM Act.

When a scuba manufacturer makes a statement like "the warranty is void if you purchase it from Leisurepro", that is sales talk. They know fully that if they determine that a computer is unsafe, they are going to fix it no matter where you purchased it. However, some sizable percentage of customers will listen to the "sales talk" and believe it. So, it is effective. Remember, the actual terms of the Warranty are those terms specified in the Warranty document, not the warnings issued on a website. If you read the text of any scuba manufacturers Warranty, you will see that is covers ONLY manufacturers defects and there is no mention of purchasing from an Authorized Dealer.

Phil Ellis

This raises a good question then.. Has anyone bought something from LP and had a Product Registration card in it from the Manuf.? Im assuming that if it doesnt come with one, and you dont register the product, you dont have the warranty....Is this correct Phil? Can it be done online maybe? I know people say it comes with LPs warranty info.......I wonder if you can register it still, or if they track the serial number to know where it came from......what do you think??

Don't know what would happen mike, but I doubt anyone tries these things before they bash LP and other retailers.

Mike,

I would bet that product registration only applies to the limited warranty (i.e. free parts). If the product was defective, the manufacturer would be bound by the warranty to fix or replace it, regardless of whether or not it was registered by the owner.

Dive Right In Scuba:
This raises a good question then.. Has anyone bought something from LP and had a Product Registration card in it from the Manuf.? Im assuming that if it doesnt come with one, and you dont register the product, you dont have the warranty....Is this correct Phil? Can it be done online maybe? I know people say it comes with LPs warranty info.......I wonder if you can register it still, or if they track the serial number to know where it came from......what do you think??

I know of no requirement that you must "register for your warranty" when it comes to Full Warranty as outlined in the MM Act. If the warranty terminates in some number of months or years, you may be required to prove your date of purchase AT THE TIME OF A CLAIM, but I don't think legally a Full Warranty can specifiy that it is valid only if you register in advance.

On the issue of warranty documents coming in the box from unauthorized dealers, I really don't know. I do know that for almost every product, you can now register on the internet and several scuba manufacturers no longer put "registration cards" in the boxes, opting instead for 100% internet registration.

The bottom line is, a product covered by a Full Warranty, as specified in the MM Act, is valid no matter what the circumstances which brought you into possession of the product.

Phil Ellis

cerich:
if they know that reg came from an unauthorized dealer why is it they can't stop it from getting there?....

One reason might be that the trade laws in some countries would prohibit such actions by a mfgr/distributor/wholesaler. That basically leaves the mfgr in the position of chosing to either abandon those markets or of coersing and intimidating the retailers into some level of control. For example, scubapro products and parts used to be available from retailers in Germany and Spain. Parts are no longer available (for shipment to the US - European delivery addressed may still be OK) but other SP products continue to be available on the internet from non-USA authorized dealers.

awap:
One reason might be that the trade laws in some countries would prohibit such actions by a mfgr/distributor/wholesaler. That basically leaves the mfgr in the position of chosing to either abandon those markets or of coersing and intimidating the retailers into some level of control. For example, scubapro products and parts used to be available from retailers in Germany and Spain. Parts are no longer available (for shipment to the US - European delivery addressed may still be OK) but other SP products continue to be available on the internet from non-USA authorized dealers.

trade laws in no country require you to do business with certain distributers.

Anyway if there is no way around it then you allow your dealers to compete, not tie their hands as punishment for playing by the rules.

This is way off topic, as far as I know there is nothing to stop a retailer from shipping to foreign countries, but ieven if there is this seems like the start of a new topic, b/c thats pretty far away from warranty conversations.

Back
Top Bottom