Was it a Sea Lion or a Seal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Egner

Contributor
Reaction score
How do you tell?

While making our way in to shore from our second dive at the Edmonds Underwater Park, my buddy and I were momentarily separated. While circling the area where I'd lost sight of him, a large, graceful creature swirled in from out of the haze (visibility was no more than 10' at that point in the dive). She twisted and glided a corkscrew path, coming within a few feet of my mask, and then disappeared. I searched for my buddy a bit longer and then surfaced, spotting him a few seconds later. The animal had investigated him as well... what a great experience! She moved with impossible speed and grace, and never broke eye contact with me.

She (?) was dark grey and mottled with lighter shades. Roughly 6' long, and I'm guessing a body mass of around 200 lbs., with a large midsection, tapering to a smooth head.

No, I'm not describing my buddy.:D

Can you identify the animal, or better yet, did you see her too?

Steve

Sounds like a seal to me. The mottled part is generally not found on sea lions. The sea lions that I've dove with tend to be bigger than 6' as well. The males don't take kindly to bubble blowers either. It's a sign of aggression.

Diving in cove 2 at night (if you have an HID) will find a bunch of seals feeding in your light. I had one friend feel some weight on her shoulder. When she turned her head there was a seal almost giving her a kiss. :D

Harbor seal

Don't worry, SCUBA Diving magazine didn't get it right either. Note the picture of a "sea lion" on page 4 that looks suspiciously like a harbor seal... note the lack of external ear flaps (pinnae) and the mottling on the body. The article on page 27 indicates the diver was diving with a harbor seal off Anacapa. Of course I'm perfect, I never make mizteaks!

Thanks all, for the identification tips.

I'd forgotten to mention: She was at the South end of the park, fairly close to the park boundary sign near the ferry dock, in about 20' of water. I hope she becomes a regular.

Steve

Yep, you surely has a seal encounter,,, pretty cool huh !!!! I can echo the Alki experience,,, they love feeding in our lights. I fed my first seal as I was focusing my camera on a lone perch,,, then,,,in a blink of an eye a seal swooped in and grabbed the morsel....

Back
Top Bottom