Water resistance ratings for watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Amazon.com:
Water resistance 50 meters (150 feet): It is wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and in shallow water. It should not be worn while scuba diving.

Water resistance 100 meters (333 feet): It is wearable around household sinks, while playing sports, and while swimming or poolside diving. It should not be worn while scuba diving.

Water resistance 300 meters (990 feet): It is wearable around household sinks and while playing sports, swimming, and scuba diving at depths not requiring helium gas.
So...um....do you guys do a lot of swimming, poolside diving, or dish washing at anywhere close to 100m? Just curious.

Armitron rated Water Resistant to 165' I've had it to 101' w/o incident
But in the instructions somewhere, does it say that being WR to 165' really means you can only wear it around the kitchen sink and a pool?

Remember .. water resistance ratings are static ratings, not dynamic ones ... move your arm around at 100ft and your watch is seeing pressure in excess of the depth

A couple years ago I bought a dive watch from Wally's for $9.99 and it's still working after 150 dives, 40 of which were over 100 feet. I got worried about the battery recently and bought a better one at Wally's for $17.95. I've got about 20 dives on it, half of which are between 120-130 feet and it seems to be holding up OK too.

I have a Timex that cost $15 at a store going out of business. It's rated 100 m with the caveat, "don't press any buttons underwater." It has survived more than 150 dives and one battery change.

I think that Amazon description is actually pretty darn accurate.

50m WR ratings fail regularlay at recreational scuba depths (one I've had for 3-4 years died after 10 dives, having never hit the buttons underwater).

100m WR ratings are iffy - some people report they work flawlessly, others say they eventually (or quickly) go.

200m WR ratings seem to be pretty solid. After my 50m watch died, I got a $30 Timex Ironman from Amazon that's rated to 200m and it's been solid for my 40-80ft dives. I know tech divers with the same watch who regularly go below 130ft "on helium" and also report no problems.

Back
Top Bottom