Water stuck in My ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvturtle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey can anyone give me some advice for removing water from My ear,I went diving last weekend and there is still a liitle water stuck in my ear,its very annoying,and it crackles on occasion, but I can hear ok and theres no pain.I have tried alcohol a few times even white vinagar.Thanks

Have you used both together? I use a 50/50 mix when I'm diving and don't remember having this problem Try a 50/50 mix of the alcohol and vinagar and see what happens.

Maybe gently insert a q-tip and see if you can absorb some of the water that way.

Just ideas.

Mark

Take the corner of a kleenex and roll it up. That makes a very skinny but soft spike that you can put into your ear to wick out the water. IMO Q-tips are dangerous around ears.

Be advised, though, that the early stages of outer ear infections kind of feel like water stuck in the ear.

Since it has been a week, that may be the problem. Don't try to tough out an ear infection. The earlier you treat it the quicker you get cured. If one ear is more sensitive than the other when you grab the skin outside your ear and manipulate the whole ear back and forth, that would be another sign of outer ear infection aka otitus externa.

Drying out the ear using a hair dryer on a cool setting is another possibility.

Tilt your head to one side and hop on one foot (water side), while banging the side of your head with your hand. Didn't we all learn this as kids?

Crackle is a classic sign of mild barotrauma, If you do a search for the word "crackle or crackle" you should find many mentions. It's a common mild injury for first time divers often happening in the pool. Were you having trouble with equalization?

As for drying out the ears check this out:
http://home.gwi.net/~spectrum/scuba_ears.html

Pete

Sometimes water stuck in your ear can make a crackling sound--I know what they're talking about.

Personally I use a baby bottle with a 1:1:1 mix of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and white vinegar. Works great, and keeps earwax to a minimum. :wink:

cbborromeo:
Tilt your head to one side and hop on one foot (water side), while banging the side of your head with your hand. Didn't we all learn this as kids?

I concur!!! :)

Also try to use a q-tip and try to get some of that water absorbed. Good luck with it.

It's been over a week now....
Go see your doctor (or at the very least call DAN).

scubaaaronh:
As far as the mix of alcohol and vinegar, what is better rubbing or isopropyl ? and should you add peroxide??
If you look at the label on most bottles of rubbing alcohol, you will see that the contents are 70% isopropyl alcohol, 30% water. The isopropyl alchohol from most drugstores is 90 or 93% isopropyl alcohol with the last few percent being water. So it doesn't really matter which one you use, particularly since the white vinegar is 95% water, with a few percent acetic acid.

I don't add peroxide because it is too irritating, while others swear by it. Your choice.

As for the original poster, I'd stay away from the peroxide since he may have the beginnings of an outer ear infection and IMO the peroxide woudl be too irritating.

LUVTURTLE --- be sure to pop back in and fill us in on what you tried and how it worked, once everything settles down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom