Water temp at Cairns around March - April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ny_diver

Reaction score
Looking to dive the GBR late March - April. Does anyone know the water temp around that time of the year and is wet-suit needed?

Thanks.

ny_diver:
Looking to dive the GBR late March - April. Does anyone know the water temp around that time of the year and is wet-suit needed?

Thanks.

I was last there in June and July which is of course in the southern hemisphere winter. The water temp. was about 82F in the Coral Sea at Osprey as we traveled south towards Port Douglas on the GBR Ribbons it was 77F. It would probably be abit warmer in Mar. Apr.

Caymaniac

caymaniac:
I was last there in June and July which is of course in the southern hemisphere winter. The water temp. was about 82F in the Coral Sea at Osprey as we traveled south towards Port Douglas on the GBR Ribbons it was 77F. It would probably be abit warmer in Mar. Apr.

Caymaniac

What thickness suit were you wearing?
I am going there in early May and understand it will be around 77F, i normally dive in 84F water and if it wasnt for stingy things I wouldnt wear a suit. I was planning on using my 3mm plus a vest with hood, is that good enough?

Albion:
What thickness suit were you wearing?
I am going there in early May and understand it will be around 77F, i normally dive in 84F water and if it wasnt for stingy things I wouldnt wear a suit. I was planning on using my 3mm plus a vest with hood, is that good enough?

I was okay with my 3mm in the Coral Sea but once we dropped down to the GBR, 3mm was barely enough. On the night dives I had taken a 1mm along and wore both, then I was quite comfortable. Repeated dives in 77F will probably get you feeling cold, using your hood is a good idea. I had a divers cap along but trying to secure it was a problem. http://www.scubaboard.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=0#
Icosm08
Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Was at the ribbon reef's doing a 3 day in January, temps were about 80-82, and probably will get higher. Cairns was nice, Port D was such a better place to stay imop.
Personally, I don't use a suit unless it's below 70, so I thought it was great!

During mid-March of '02, the water temp was fairly consistently 80-82 F. I was fine in a 3mm shorty. I have a bit of "natural" insulation and my partner, a bit leaner, wore a 3mm full suit and added a beanie for the night dives.

Let's get wet! :palmtree:
Eric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom