Water Temp in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlien05

Reaction score
Hi!
We're leaving for Belize this Friday for a week of diving around Turneffe Caye...Does anyone know what the water temp is like this time of year? We're trying to figure out which wetsuits to pack....Also, does anyone know a good weather website for Belize?

Thanks!
Julie

Water temp should be around 86F. Try Accuweather they have a pretty good international section. Belize has a number of complicated microclimates. Weather forcasting is tricky there. Barring some kind of major system you'll likely have lots of sun with scattered thunderstorms sweeping in from the sea. Have fun. Be sure to dive the Elbow:D

surface 32 depth (around 35 to 40 meters) 28.

Definitely the Elbow and Blue Hole. Half Moon Caye was probably the best dive site I ever did, but Elbow has tons of big reef sharks.

Have fun

My husband and I went to Blackbird Caye at Turneffe Atoll in late May 2002 and found the water temps very comfortable with 3mm full suits. Some fellow divers wore less... skins or shorties. If I had to choose between the last 2 I would go with the skin for protection from fire corals and jellies, and avoidance of goofy tan lines on the surface. The scars that the DM had on her arms and legs confirm that protection is a good idea! The 3mms were ideal for us. I wish I could remember what the water temps were, but can't.

If you are staying at Blackbird Caye, be sure to tell them ahead of time if you have any dietary preferences. I wish I had said I don't want everything fried morning, noon, and night. Otherwise, it was fab!

Ditto on Half Moon Caye! I would go back in a split sec!

I think you would melt in 3mm suits. My wife and I dove Ambergris Caye in February and the water was in the low to mid 80's all the way down to 90 fsw. We used .5mm for protection against accidental scrapes. Some of the people just wore swimsuits and t-shirts.

Of course, if you're doing multiple dives over a number of days, you may want that 3mm. I'd pack both if space allows.

Mark

Petra's response made me curious so I went out to the garage to see what that little wetsuit is.... I don't think it is a 3mm. It is thinner. (Everything feels thin compared to the 6.5 mm I usually wear!) I'll report back once I figure it out.

Blackbird Caye does 3 dives a day for 6 days...Many are in the 60-90 ft range so some thermal protection is needed for nice long comfortable dives. Just don't zip it up too soon on the usually quick boat ride to the site!

kelphelper

After looking at Akona's website, I realize it is only a 1mm. Whoops!

And BTW, I mention Blackbird Caye's schedule because Julie said in a different thread that BC is where she is going this week. Have fun!

Thanks for all the great feed back. Glad to hear that the trips are short...

Pray for sunny skies and clear waters! Will post a travel logue when we get back.

Julie

Back
Top Bottom