water temp Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to the Red Sea soon and I currently have a 7mm semi-dry suit, but I will need a shorty in about a month anyway so I can just as well buy it now.

I'm just wondering if it will be more inconvenient to go with the 7mm suit (5 days) then to have to check out how much weight I need when I get there, because I don't have the opportunity to check it out in the pool before I'm leaving, and I'm not very keen on trying out my shorty in 10°C water. (Yeah.. only used to local diving.. not so sure what to expect)

If you have access to a pool, that will be probably cooler than thge Red Sea in summer. I can't imagine you needing anything but a skin for protection; you probably won't need anything for thermal protection.

There will be some variation as to what most people there wear. When I was there last summer I dove a 3mm full suit (I normally dive dry in 48 degree F water) for 2 weeks and definately felt the chill. A lot of the DMs were wearing 5 and 7 mm suits. Usually you will do and easy checkout dive first which will serve to get your weight sorted and just see if the shortie will be sufficient. Have a great trip!

jva:
I'm going to the Red Sea soon and I currently have a 7mm semi-dry suit, but I will need a shorty in about a month anyway so I can just as well buy it now.

I'm just wondering if it will be more inconvenient to go with the 7mm suit (5 days) then to have to check out how much weight I need when I get there, because I don't have the opportunity to check it out in the pool before I'm leaving, and I'm not very keen on trying out my shorty in 10°C water. (Yeah.. only used to local diving.. not so sure what to expect)

No pool check can help you with weights for Red Sea because of different salinity. You'll probably need couple of lbs more then usually. Regarding the suit, it depends on personal preferences and number of dives you plan to make per day. I wear 3mm full suit (hood included) and I'm OK in the water. Whatever suit you wear it will be too warm outside the water.

Back
Top Bottom