Water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanadive:
How cold is toooo cold with wetsuits on?

My local dive shop just did their last batch of OW student dives in a blizzard. 7mm wetsuits, 3 dives, 28F air temp, 45F water temp, everybody covered in snow. Everybody in the group did all 3 dives.

-Ben

dont know what everyone else would say but I say anything below 78F is too cold for diving, wetsuit or not.

You can ice dive in 7mm farmer johns - I wouldn't do it personally, but some people do.

I dove in water that was 49 degrees with a 3mm farmer john and a 3mm full, layered. I lasted almost an hour before I got "the shakes".

Anything colder, for me, would require a drysuit.

I regularly go out into Lake Ontario. Water is currently at around 0-1°, I have a 7mm Bare Arctic + Vest and use 3mm split-cell gloves from Picasso. The tougher part is walking back to the car in -10° :) . Diving cold water wet - no problem. YMMV.

Carribeandiver:
dont know what everyone else would say but I say anything below 78F is too cold for diving, wetsuit or not.

Coldest water I ever dove in was 70F with a 7mm and it wasn't too bad.

TOM

Carribeandiver:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Prime example of a WWW

Jeremy Bouwman:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Prime example of a WWW
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: He's the president of the WWW club!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

It totally depends on the person. We used to do a lot of ice diving in 1/4" Farmer Johns. But ask me to do that today and you can firmly plant your lipps on my toasty warm dry suit butt. :D :D

Gary D.

I've done 52 deg. last year in my 7mil simi dry. It wasn't bad at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom