Waterproof Logbook?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey

Omniheurist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Earlier this year, I used up my original log book (SSI) with the 6 hole punches on a 5 x 8 page.

I decided to switch to printing out the pages from my SmartCom on 8.5" x 11" paper and using a regular notebook.

However, all the notebooks I've seen get pretty soggy sitting in my gear bag, since they're all stiffened with cardboard.

I'd really like a notebook made like the pelican cases, but I can't seem to find anything like that.

Anybody have any recommendations for a waterproof logbook?

Thanks!

Terry

Web Monkey:
I'd really like a notebook made like the pelican cases, but I can't seem to find anything like that.

Errr, that seems a little clunky. However, if that's what you want, couldn't you just drop your log into a Pelican Micro Case, or similar?

(Have the SSI logs changed? My book, dating from.... mumble mumble... is about 5x8 on the outside, but the pages are about 4.25x7.)

Not completely waterproof but I use ziplock baggies. & then put it in my dry bag not my gear bag. Also remember to use a ball point pen or pencil, not a felt tip. That way if water drips on a page the writing won't run.

Paula

That's probably about right. I didn't measure it, but since I'm using 8.5 x 11 now, it doesn't really matter how big the SSI pages are.

lairdb:
Errr, that seems a little clunky. However, if that's what you want, couldn't you just drop your log into a Pelican Micro Case, or similar?

(Have the SSI logs changed? My book, dating from.... mumble mumble... is about 5x8 on the outside, but the pages are about 4.25x7.)

A Pelican case might do it. I'll have to see if I can find one that isn't too huge, but still fits a notebook.

Or maybe just a ziplock bag as the next poster mentioned.

Terry

How about getting a zippered day planner. Once my wife got into the wonderful world of Palm.....I took her Franklin Covey day planner, printed out some log pages and it would take submerging to get the pages wet. Its nice because I can also keep my wallet, passport, tables and anything else I need to keep handy when I dive.

Web Monkey:
A Pelican case might do it. I'll have to see if I can find one that isn't too huge, but still fits a notebook.

I use a ziploc as well, but you mentioned a Pelican. Check the one I linked to: 8-7/16 x 4-7/16 x 2-1/4 inside. BTW, Staples has pen pouches with the correct hole punch.

diver_paula:
Not completely waterproof but I use ziplock baggies. & then put it in my dry bag not my gear bag. Also remember to use a ball point pen or pencil, not a felt tip. That way if water drips on a page the writing won't run.
Ziplock baggies works for me when I do bring it onboard, but with the addition of a waterproof notebook from Rite in the Rain, kept handy in the gearbag/wetbag for jotting down rough notes while on the boat. Most of the time, though, I just leave it the logbook at home or in the car.

A-Plus Marine does make a 4.5" x 5.5" waterproof logbook, but I prefer the normal paper equivalent since inks and pencil tends to smear on the waterproof one.

I'm going to look for a pelican case, but the one you mentioned won't hold and 8 1/2 x 11 notebook, so I can't use it.

The bigger one looks like it would work, although it's going to take up a lot of space in my bag.

Terry

lairdb:
I use a ziploc as well, but you mentioned a Pelican. Check the one I linked to: 8-7/16 x 4-7/16 x 2-1/4 inside. BTW, Staples has pen pouches with the correct hole punch.

Anybody have any recommendations for a waterproof logbook?

Thanks!

I bought a surveying bound book - $14. It holds about 250 dives. The paper is treated so you can write on it in water or rain (with a pencil anyways). They are usually found in surveying supply stores or university book stores. There are loose leaf pages available and ring note books too. I like it because it compact and small about 3"x5" with a yellow cover. I put down a lot of info like time, place and depth with a sharpy then use a pencil for noting life, maps, etc. The tech divers use the paper for writing underwater.

Jason

Scubapro makes a waterproof log book. Waterproof pages too. When I used to use a log book this is the one that I used.

Now dives are downloaded from Uwatec to palm and kept in pelican case while near water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom