Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello clownfishsyndney (Michael McFadyen),

As I watched the testimony of some of the witnesses, the impression was that they did not provide much ammunition for the prosecution and was even detrimental to the prosecution's case. Did the defence team get this impression early in the trial?

I've tried to piece together the final moments prior to Tina's death. The picture we get from the media is sketchy. A lot of questions remain in my mind and probably a lot of other people's. Not sure if you are able or feel inclined to respond at this stage. If you are, I'd be interested to hear your opinions and how you formed them on the following:

1. How did Tina drown with a regulator in her mouth?

2. What information could be gathered from Tina's dive watch on the dive profile? How much of her dive profile did you have to infer?

3. Were you able to discuss with Dr Edmonds the various stages of drowning and the time taken for each stage and how this related to some of the testimony of Gabe about those final moments?

4. What do you think happened to Tina during those final moments? How did she drown?

5. Do you believe that Tina's BCD was over weighted to the point that it was unable to lift her.

6. Are you still convinced that Stutz never witnessed Tina's death?

7. It seemed to me there was a big variation in Stutz testimony over the years regarding the movements that he witnessed in Tina's final moments. Was this discussed much by the defense and what were your thoughts?

8. Was there any discussion in the trial about the statements of Stutz' that he saw Wade descend from the surface when Wade's dive computer indicated this was not the case? What were your thoughts?

Check his blog, Foxfish. I just did (had to google for it because the link in his profile is wrong) and it's quite exhaustive. I know it covered at least some of your questions in the "my thoughts" section.

Sorry, cannot reply now as going out to have a well earned beer and dinner. I think all are covered in my pages. Some comments the last few days from court sheriffs were along the lines of "This is the weakest case we have ever seen in court and we are sure it will be thrown out today".

Check his blog, Foxfish. I just did (had to google for it because the link in his profile is wrong) and it's quite exhaustive. I know it covered at least some of your questions in the "my thoughts" section.

Foxfish has read his blog. He is now asking him those questions directly at this time since he is able to respond now. Michael...Clownfishsydney...was not posting recently because he was going to testify for the defense.

Last edited:
Sorry, cannot reply now as going out to have a well earned beer and dinner. I think all are covered in my pages. Some comments the last few days from court sheriffs were along the lines of "This is the weakest case we have ever seen in court and we are sure it will be thrown out today".

Come back when you can. We want to know more!!!

An interesting comment today by Tom Jackson who trained both Tina and Gabe was that he would not have let Gabe and Tina enter the water on a "red" dive (as the Yongala was classified). He also said that he would not consider Gabe experienced (he took a long time to answer this question). Another thing he said was that a rescue diver certification does not enable someone to take the role of a rescue diver on a charter boat (important as many people think it is) and that it is important to save yourself first and said something like "Can I help this person without hurting myself".

Interesting points. On that basis you'd have to say that Gabe's response was pretty much in line with the instructors comments.

Do you think that Tina would have been aware through her dive courses of the limitations of her training. For example that it would not prepare her adequately for the dive on the Yongala.

My concern is that Gabe's manslaughter conviction tends to set a precedent for other divers and tries to force them to get involved even though they feel it may risk their own life. It also fails to take into account Tina's own failings on the day.

Foxfish has read his blog. She is now asking him those questions directly at this time since he is able to respond now. Michael...Clownfishsydney...was not posting recently because he was going to testify for the defense.

Last time I checked Foxfish was a he. LOL.

I have read McFadyen's blog and it was comprehensive. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to become better aquainted on the case. There were some aspects that were still unclear and these were raised in the questions.

Well earned indeed. Enjoy! Hope you can come back soon.

Back
Top Bottom