Watson Murder Case - Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manslaughter might have been all that the prosecutors could prove. If that is the case, then give him the max for manslaughter.

I hope the judge keeps him in dry dock for the rest of his life.

The max for manslaughter still isn't enough for that SOB did. He may not get what he deserves through the judicial system, but prison does have a way of dealing back the bad kharma.

Parole after 18 months sounds like an awfully short sentence. Hopefully there won't be any parole in this case. Of course, what do the rest of us know about the working of the Australian justice system. In the US, he will probably face a wrongful death suit that will take every penny he has. The manslaughter plea will be used to show that he was, in fact, responsible for her death and the family should win that one easily.

For anyone who thinks the gravesite activity proves anything, I say you're dead wrong. An easy explanation there is that there was animosity between Watson and the victim's family such that he didn't want any of their tributes on her grave. There's nothing in that activity that shows he had anything to do with her death. You can hate him for it, but not convict him.

I'd rather see him spend five years in an Australian jail and come out with no money and no property than see him walk, but this still doesn't quite feel like justice. If this were an episode of Law & Order, we'd walk away from it feeling like he worked the system and got away with it.

some but not much...

Watson pleads guilty to honeymoon killing - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Prosecutor Brendan Campbell accepted the plea.

Watson is being sentenced immediately, with Justice Peter Lyons now hearing sentencing submissions.

Mr Campbell has asked for a five-year jail term for Watson, with the possibility of parole after 18 months.

You've got to be Shxxting me Pyle? After nearly six years, denial, and lies, the potential for parole in 18 months? Again, Come on?!

I wonder in this case if something could be done to ensure he never scuba dives again since he admitted doing wrong while active in the sport? Maybe his certifying agency/agencies would revoke his certifications or something more crafty? This would not be too much of a punishment for someone who got away with essentially murder but I dunno...

Parole after 18 months sounds like an awfully short sentence.
Like any plea agreement, it is a pragmatic decision by the prosecutor and the defense in light of the evidence and likelihood of a conviction.

In the US, he will probably face a wrongful death suit that will take every penny he has. The manslaughter plea will be used to show that he was, in fact, responsible for her death and the family should win that one easily.
I would guess that he is essentially broke. If I recall correctly, there is good reason to believe the crime was committed for a shockingly small life insurance policy. In the meantime, he's been paying lawyers with whatever money he had.

For anyone who thinks the gravesite activity proves anything, I say you're dead wrong.
My reference to the flower incident was sarcasm. I thought it was funny how many people fixated on it when there was so much direct evidence of his guilt.

Hell, after he gets out he can move to Florida. They call this the debtor state because it is so hard to get money out after a judgement. You can't garnish someones wages unless they agree to it. (This does not count for child support, so no dead beat dads need try this.)

Interesting... first of all Justice means different things to different people. What I think of as justice and what you do may/will likely be different.

I personally don't think there is any such thing as JUSTICE for TINA... nothing can give her back what was taken from her.. nothing can erase whatever she went through in her last moments!

Now lets talk about punishment. Once again our ideas of that will be different as well. Making him face what he did :idk: dropping him into that site and cutting off his air long enough to give him a taste of what Tina went through :idk: I am not prepared to let anybody's actions no matter how low cause me to get down as low as them.:no: I would like to see him reminded somehow every day of his sentence (including any Parole time) of what Tina went through.

Justice for Tina's loved ones? As was mentioned this opens it up for a Civil Action in the States. Nothing can bring back Tina but maybe they can get some form of justice by taking the joy out of his life like he has done to them. Tina payed with her life for trusting him. Tina can not be payed back. Tina's family trusted him and lost something precious to them... I think it is now time for them to collect what he holds precious.

The problem here is in the end no one wins... Tina will always be gone, Tina's family will always miss her, Gabe's family has suffered because of his action and Gabe has probably not suffered enough for what happened :idk:

The danger is that hate and anger can eat you from the inside. I hope that those involved can resolve those issues without destroying their own mental, physical and emotional health.

Like any plea agreement, it is a pragmatic decision by the prosecutor and the defense in light of the evidence and likelihood of a conviction.

this would be a hard case to try. there are no eyewitnesses, and the evidence is not overwhelming

it wouldn't be hard to convince a jury that there just isn't enough evidence to convict on murder, and the likelihood of the way walking is very real

j

Three weeks ago Mr Watson voluntarily travelled from the US and arrived at Brisbane's International Airport and immediately surrendered himself into police custody

I'm surprised he went back on his own. It didn't like they were going to have an easy extradition with him.

I wonder what made him change his mind on going back....and also made him change his mind and cop a plea?

Mr Watson, a bubble-wrap salesman, has since remarried a woman who bears a striking similarity to his late wife Tina.

I saw in media reports he had a new girlfriend who looked like him..... but I didn't know he remarried..... can't figure out why some woman would marry a man caught up in something like this.... especially with all that is on the news about it.

but heck, some girl was stupid enough to get engaged to Drew Peterson after his last two wives were killed by they think him...

Mr Campbell has asked for a five-year jail term for Watson, with the possibility of parole after 18 months.[/I] [/COLOR]

I'm guessing that about any jury could have found him guilty if he went to trial and he could have gotten "life".

does Australia have a death penalty?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom