Watts, Lumens, Kelvins, Amps, Li-ion, NiMH, Lead-acid.. which?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
I think the point is that wattage numbers are of barely any use when comparing lights... you have to be sure you are comparing apples to apples. 10W Halogen and 10W HID simply mean very different things and thus are not directly comparable to gauge the light's power

true, but can you even buy halogen canister lights any more?

honestly, i have just written them off. i guess i should have made that more explicit:

don't bother with halogen lights. go HID.

[edit] ok, re-reading the thread, i realized i misunderstood fppf's post ... sorry about that.

the OP said he was looking at HID lights, so i just concentrated on those. halogen v HID wasn't even on my mind.

H2Andy:
true, but can you even buy halogen canister lights any more?

honestly, i have just written them off. i guess i should have made that more explicit:

don't bother with halogen lights. go HID.

the OP said he was looking at HID lights, so i just concentrated on those. halogen v HID wasn't even on my mind.
I just switched form a 50W halogen cannister to a 12W LED (UK). I've got to say that the difference in light output is minimal, and the LED light gets me somewhere around 20 hours of light on 8 C cells, where the halogen gave me a little less than an hour on a heavy lead-acid battery.

There doesn't seem to be a significant difference in light output between either of the above two lights or my 10W HID UK Light Cannon, although the LED light is quite a bit more reliable and doesn't have an appetite for $100 lamps.

At least for now, the LED is my favorite. It doesn't much care if it gets dropped or banged and is much more tolerant of getting wet, since it doesn't contain a high-voltage power supply.

Terry

oh, i hate the halogen light quality ... it's yellowish and (to me) ugly

HID's give out a bluish-white, almost colorless light

also, it seems no one can design a small and light-weight battery for halogen lights (that i know of)

The day they come out with an LED cannister light that puts out as much light as my 21w Salvo, I will break out the plastic with a smile on my face.

Until then, HID reigns supreme in my world. (At least for primaries... backups are LED all the way!)

H2Andy:

also, it seems no one can design a small and light-weight battery for halogen lights (that i know of)
I agree, although I have a buddy who really likes the warmth of the light given by halogen. Needless to say we disagree on that one. :wink:

Halogen is simply too power-hungry to get the runtimes of HID.

Zundanc3:
Watts, Lumens, Kelvins, Amps, Li-ion, NiMH, Lead-acid.. what/which?

Lumens is the best way to measure light output. Good luck finding a subjective site that rates all the lights you may want to compare.

Battery technology is another big mess. The three basic options for rechargeable batteries are LI-ion, NiMH, and NiCAD. Li-ion will produce the longest usage in the smallest package, but at the highest price, and Li-ion is not available from most manufactures.

NiMH is memory free, and is likely the best compromise between price, density, and weight/size. Most manufactures are now offering NiMH batteries.

NiCAD batteries have memory issues, and one must be careful to keep them charged. If they sit at half charge for too long, the battery will no longer *remember* that it can take more change, hence the word memory. NiCAD batteries can be reconditioned with a deep discharge, but many chargers do not offer conditioning charge cycles. NiCAD batteries have been popular for a long time, and there is nothing wrong with using them. The debate on the *best* battery is subjective with both battery styles having strengths and weaknesses.

HID lights are have a high color temp of 6000K (think whiter) and produce a large output for the wattage used. A 10W HID light is roughly equal to a 50W Halogen bulb. HID bulbs are fragile, and expensive to replace. They are also hot, and many can not be used topside. They have to be babied a bit as one can not generally just turn them off, then on, then off again in quick succession.

LED lights are very durable, and burn forever. The light output is generally not as focused, and the color temp is around 5000K. They are cool, and very effective for a lot of applications.

Halogen bulbs are the ones found in the majority of flash lights on the consumer market. The are hotter than LED lights, but cooler than HID. They have a lower color temp (3400K, think browner), but are inexpensive to replace, and widely available.

You really need to provide a lot more information about budget, size constraints (if any) the type of light you want, and so on if you want to get good facts as to what to purchase. You will get a lot of people who will tell you just to go buy light X, and be done with it. But there are other factors, and carrying around a 21W Salvo HID may not be the best option for the diving you are doing even if it's a great light.

There are also some conditions where a focused light is more desirable vs. a wider beam and VersaVisa! One requirement I have for a light is that if I spend a fortune, I want to be able to use it as a light source for photography. HID lights tend to have a hot spot in the center of the beam which means that using an HID lightsource for video or photo applications requires a way to diffuse that hot spot.

Unfortunately lighting is more technical than most people realize. How a light head is designed (beam angle), what bulb technology is used, and what battery choice along with many other factors all impact how it performs, how big it is, how long it will burn, and how durable it maybe.

CompuDude:
I agree, although I have a buddy who really likes the warmth of the light given by halogen. Needless to say we disagree on that one. :wink:

Halogen is simply too power-hungry to get the runtimes of HID.

Yeah, but for the cost of that HID bulb, one could carry around spare batteries.

If you are diving a rebreather, and need a 4 hour burn time for a dive, so be it. But for most Halogen is really the bulb of choice, or should be. We divers somehow justify spending $1500 on what amounts to a flashlight, but the rest of the world in general, does not! :10:

H2Andy:

They make Halogen bulbs in more than one color temp. The light output you hate if from the 3500K~3800K bulbs. They also make a 4700K bulb that looks more like and LED light.

HID lights are generally 6000K.

Halogen Canister Lights are alive and well....

http://www.nocturnallights.com/

HID's have a lot of downside even if I know they are popular. Hummers are also popular, but I'm not sure they are smart! I would think LCD will replace both technologies over time for most applications.

RonFrank:
Yeah, but for the cost of that HID bulb, one could carry around spare batteries.

If you are diving a rebreather, and need a 4 hour burn time for a dive, so be it. But for most Halogen is really the bulb of choice, or should be. We divers somehow justify spending $1500 on what amounts to a flashlight, but the rest of the world in general, does not! :10:
You can't change batteries underwater. And the 4 hour burntime generally lasts me all day.

The Brightstar bulbs used in the majority of current-model HIDs (and all of the ones I own) are a LOT more durable than the Welch-Allen bulbs commonly used in earlier-gen HID lights. I have yet to need to replace one, and know very few people that have needed to, either.

Halogen light bulbs may be inexpensive to replace, but they're also quite fragile... not quite as fragile as the WA HIDs, but they do have a nasty tendency to go just when you need them the most.

IMO, LED is the best option for nearly anyone... unless you need the burntime, light output, focusability, etc, of HID lights, and then a light cannon or canister light are probably the best options. Someday soon I hope LED will be an option for canister lights, but they're not quite there yet.

If cost is the limiting factor, things change considerably, but considering the OP was asking specifically about canister lights, I was not worried about the cost aspects (either for the initial purchase or for eventual replacement bulbs).

RonFrank:
Halogen Canister Lights are alive and well....

but their battery packs are so huge ... my first canister was halogen, and it was a pain in the butt to keep proper trim

not that it can't be done (i did my intro. cave with it). it's just a pain in the butt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom