Wave height for harbor closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue73

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Does anyone know at what wave height/wind speed/direction that the harbor master closes the harbor? I know about windguru, but it doesn't post whether the harbor is closed or not.

Thanks,
Blue73

I have no idea, but you can (almost) bet after a (moderate+) US cold front---like we had a week or so ago(& about to get in a few days) it will be shut down for a day or so.........I'd contact dave dillhaye(sp) here, owner of Aldora--& an 'old' Texas guy to boot, he ought to be able to give a much better answer........Also, they dive the east side soooo on average 'blow out' days they are diving CZM.....

I have no idea, but you can (almost) bet after a (moderate+) US cold front---like we had a week or so ago(& about to get in a few days) it will be shut down for a day or so.........I'd contact dave dillhaye(sp) here, owner of Aldora--& an 'old' Texas guy to boot, he ought to be able to give a much better answer........Also, they dive the east side soooo on average 'blow out' days they are diving CZM.....

You need to check with Aldora but they "may" open up east side diving to other than current customers. Check for restrictions and advance notice requirements.

The most important facet of port closures is wind direction that will cause larger waves on the west side of Cozumel. West to North winds above 15 knots will usually cause waves enough to close the port. Those conditions also usually make the east side flat and allows us to dive over there. A slight shift to northeast will close both sides of the island.

And yes, we generally have space for divers from other shops. They just need to check in with us the night before an expected port closure.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The most important facet of port closures is wind direction that will cause larger waves on the west side of Cozumel. West to North winds above 15 knots will usually cause waves enough to close the port. Those conditions also usually make the east side flat and allows us to dive over there. A slight shift to northeast will close both sides of the island.

And yes, we generally have space for divers from other shops. They just need to check in with us the night before an expected port closure.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the response Dave. I have your number in case we need to use your shop for the east side. Do you have any predictions for the latest cold front that's heading south? According to the forecast, it looks like it will hit Houston and Galveston tomorrow in the early evening hours.

Thanks,
Blue73

I'm not Dave (Hi Dave! :wavey:), but everything I use
looks like good west side diving at least through Monday...

There is a major front moving through the US as we speak lol.......blowing 40 mph here in Oklahoma.....hopefully it doesn't close the pool down there!

There is a major front moving through the US as we speak lol.......blowing 40 mph here in Oklahoma.....hopefully it doesn't close the pool down there!

Yes, it's hitting Houston right now. Supposed to cool things off by about 20 degrees and linger through the weekend.

Hoping for the best in Coz.

Not forecast to go that far south. Weatherunderground has wind direction from the Northeast and east for the foreseeable future.

Try windguru.com free version ( no need for the paid). That is what we use. It has both winds and waves plus it has a star system to rate their own predictions.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

ww.aldora.com

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom