Waxing dry suits zips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOUTH DEVON

Reaction score
My membrane dry suit arrived today and I have been waxing the zips, which seemed like a lot of hard work , I was told the wax has to go in between all the little spaces but as soon as you open the zip it removes a lot of the wax again!
Is waxing the best option?
Why do you wax, is it purely for lubrication to make the zipper easier to open and close?
If you don't wax will the zip corrode?
Do you have to wax after every dive?
Thanks for any feedback :)

ps my dry suit did not come with any manual or care instructions, I was told they don't, hmmm that's not what I heard !
It's a "seac sub"!

I use a small bar of paraffin to wax my drysuit zipper on the day before I go diving. Then I pack my dive gear, including the drysuit, and I know it has been waxed already for the upcoming dive.

Yes, you need to wax along the entire length of the zipper, on the outside, both parts of the suit.

Make sure you wax the outside of the zipper teeth, not the inside. There is fabric on the inside, and wax on the inside only interferes with the proper seal of the zipper.

One wax job usually works all day, for multiple dives.

You will LOVE your new drysuit ! Enjoy !!

I have been waxing the zips, which seemed like a lot of hard work , I was told the wax has to go in between all the little spaces but as soon as you open the zip it removes a lot of the wax again!
Welcome to the wonderful world of drysuit diving. they are a little more maintenance intensive than a wetsuit.

Is waxing the best option?
My drysuit has a zipper made by YKK. I contacted YKK directly about the best way to care for my zipper. They sent me a free zipper care kit. It contained a wax stick that looks like a chapstick tube for the outside of the zipper and some liquid wax with a brush for the inside of the zipper. The wax stick is softer than regular wax and goes on very easily filling the gaps. They sell the same lube kits at most dive shops in my area.

Why do you wax, is it purely for lubrication to make the zipper easier to open and close?
Yep

Do you have to wax after every dive?
You probably should but most people dont. I lube my zipper at least every other dive. Just remember that it costs a lot of money to replace a drysuit zipper. Dont ever zip it pulling from the side and always pull straight ahead in line with the zipper. Take good care of your zipper and it will take good care of you. Depending on how you care for your zipper will determine for the most part how long it will last.

Northern Diver makes "dry lube" which is a liquid with a brush applicator, I've heard rumors it's wax and lanolin but don't quote me on that. What it is is Freaking AWESOME lube, much better than the paraphin wax I was supplied with the suit. Not near as messy, much easier to apply, and what a fantastic lube job. Highly reccommend this stuff.

Chris

I use a parifin wax for zippers. About every weekend of diving I wax again. It doesn't take that much time actually. I just run it up and down the length a couple of times.

cd_in_SeaTac once bubbled...
Northern Diver makes "dry lube" which is a liquid with a brush applicator, I've heard rumors it's wax and lanolin but don't quote me on that. What it is is Freaking AWESOME lube, much better than the paraphin wax I was supplied with the suit. Not near as messy, much easier to apply, and what a fantastic lube job. Highly reccommend this stuff.

Chris

I just went to their website to place an order for the stuff...

$3 for the item, and $54 to ship it.....LOL

(No, I didn't order it after all...)

Anyone know where I can get it in the US?

Sean

Thanks for the useful information guys!
I've just ordered some zip lube from northern diver, the bees wax is really messy and difficult to apply!

scubasean once bubbled...

I just went to their website to place an order for the stuff...

$3 for the item, and $54 to ship it.....LOL

(No, I didn't order it after all...)

Anyone know where I can get it in the US?

Sean

Northwest Sports Divers has it in stock for $10.25, they'll be shipping from Seattle so it shouldn't be quite so bad. Drop Chris J or Dave an email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom