Way off topic math challenged.....Powering air tools from Al 80`s.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Con Dao Islands Vietnam. Owner of Dive ! Dive ! Di
# of dives
Hi Guys..
Got a bit of a problem here and hope somebody can check my math..
I need to sand off the deck of my dive boat, I estimate with an automotive D.A. sander it will take about 16-18 hours, ( No paint, just need to remove a thin layer of wood damaged by U.V....) For various reasons there is no electricity available, (well there is but there are no orbital sanders in the country, so I want to use the D.A.)
Mine uses 4 cfm at 100 psi. How long can I run the D.A. on an al 80 ? I have about 40 tanks and a compressor, so....easy to keep the air coming....
Will the L.P. inflator deliver the 4 CFM at ambient pressure ? I imagine it would ! (But would like to be sure) Of course I will crank down the i.p. of one of my regs, leave a second stage attached to the first stage as an o.p. blow off.
Thanks very much !
Larry

If you cut off an LP hose and attach/use a standard quick disconnect from Lowes or Home Depot it will run it. But, if you run it off the quick disconnect from like an inflator hose, the orifice is not big enough to allow enough air flow into the sander. Most air tools will run just fine (except finish nailers...found out the hard way) at the IP of 140psi that most regs come preset at.

I once shot off an entire roof of 1/2" plywood with 2 1/4" spiral shank nails with a set of LP104's pumped up to 3600.

Hi good advice, just cutting the hose ! One question remains......how long will the Al 80 pumped to 3100 run 4 CFM?????

Without doing the math - about 23 minutes continuous running.

um... 4 guzunda 80 how many times?

You may want to run a somewhat long hose between the reg and the tool... this extra length of pneumatic hose, serves as a sort of reservoir of air and may allow you to run the tool at full power in bursts.. I've used a pneumatic chisel like this and a cut off wheel, not sure of what the demands of these tools are but, the regulator could not keep up with the chisel very well without some hose as a reservoir.

Seems easier and cheaper to just buy an electric DA.

I have to question it taking 16+ hours of work. That is a long time. Got any photos of what you are trying to grind off?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom