Wearing ski thermals for undersuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mje113

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking at options for under suits for warmer waters for my trilam drysuit. When I see things like 4th element J2 series and the steep "scuba tax" it makes me wonder why I couldn't just use my already purchased ski thermals. I have several sets of different weights, all wicking, synthetic or synthetic + wool. Is there something specifically special about under layers designed specifically for dry suits?

I use merino wool hiking base layers.

Did a dive in the keys with just them and light merino wool socks. Hot on the boat, just fine in the water.

I'm looking at options for under suits for warmer waters for my trilam drysuit. When I see things like 4th element J2 series and the steep "scuba tax" it makes me wonder why I couldn't just use my already purchased ski thermals. I have several sets of different weights, all wicking, synthetic or synthetic + wool. Is there something specifically special about under layers designed specifically for dry suits?
With a good base layer you could use even normal track suit.
So, feel free to use what you already have. You can always buy "scuba" garments if yours don't work out.

Up at Dutch I was usually using some Costco/32° Thermals for a base layer with Performance type sweats (full synthetic sport rather that fuzzy types) and was comfortable enough for short runs deep to 48° when we were "hole" hunting.

You can get away with thermals in warm waters. When I dive in 80F+ waters, I use Ice Breaker merino. However, when you get into cold, deep waters, you'll realize that scuba tax is worth paying. Good undergarments won't compress easily and will provide adequate thermal protection at depth. Ski and other affordable alternatives will become paper thin. Quality undergarments will trap gas which will offer additional insulation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom