Weefine 1000 Ring Light above water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can the Weefine 1000 Ring Light be used above the water, with an Olympus TG-5, for macro photography? I would like to use it for taking macros of flowers and insects, if possible.

I doubt you'll find an official response.... have you tried emailing them?

Practically, dealing without the mount might be challenging. Using the TG-5 in housing above water probably isn't a great idea due to the extra glass that is pretty fiddly to keep clean (and they overheat). Which leaves just the camera which does not have any built in lens threads. You could probably come up with something that uses the tripod mount... I think there are some threads on the ring light as well (too lazy to dig mine out...).

LEDs lifespan is heavily impacted by heat. Dive lights are almost all certainly driving them very high and very hot and hoping the water will sink heat away fast enough that you'll get reasonable lifespan out of the devices while they can publish absurd marketing numbers. But, that's the thing - typical LED lifespans under good conditions are 20,000 to 100,000 hours. If you only get 1,000 hours are you really going to be disappointed? How much do you dive and how long until you buy something new anyways? Also, the ratings are typically based on something called L70 which isn't outright failure but rather a reduction to 70% intensity - they don't burn out like bulbs, they just get dimmer and dimmer until they become too dim for your intended purpose. There will be small colour shifts but most dive lights have pretty hideous spectral output anyways... fix it in post...

In short - give it a shot...

(If it feels really hot you might want to limit 'on' time by cycling it off until you need it)

Bright lights are also more likely to cause an insect to leave. some will be fine others not.

Back
Top Bottom