Weekend activities Eastern Ontario 13 - 15 May 05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom R

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What a busy weekend in Eastern Ontario this weekend past, Friday SOS Ottawa borrowed divers from NTD and GLUE and installed the Moorings in the Cornwall Area, unfortunately there is no charter operators working in this area but some mobile operators may be able to assist you.

Saturday NTD hosted a DIR DEMO day in Kingston which was well attended as 10 people learned about DIR diving and participated.

Saturday and Sunday POW hosted it's annual raise the mooring days and this year 18 wrecks got moored with the help of the following boats and Harold and the Seaducer, Wayne and the Ashley Dawn, Vinnie and Spike Sr, Sean and So Scuba and Mike Ryan and Solo One. POW thanks these volunteers and afterwards GLUE hosted a BBQ for everyone at NTD.

Sunday SOS Member at larger Brian Prince along with Members of POW/GLUE ran some refresher training on wreck surveying and the wreck of choice was the Cora Post off Howe Island.

So how did you weekend go?

Hehe. I flooded my right hand dry glove on Saturday and my left hand on Sunday. Followed by the piece de resistance of flooding my camcorder on the Munson. Which really bummed me out as the vis was huge (we could see the entire wreck hovering at about 80 feet).

Groundhog246:
Hehe. I flooded my right hand dry glove on Saturday and my left hand on Sunday. Followed by the piece de resistance of flooding my camcorder on the Munson. Which really bummed me out as the vis was huge (we could see the entire wreck hovering at about 80 feet).
Oh, man, I feel sorry for you. Hope the camcorder's okay. I sure know what it's like to flood an expensive piece of gear (and I don't mean my drysuit! :D )

Put the battery and a tape in this evening (after havin git sit on a furnace floor vent with the fan on run since Sunday night) and wonder of wonders, it works!!! There's a small waterspot visible if I look at the lens from the front (inside whre it's hard to reach). But it records and plays back just fine. Now I just have to redesign the housing redesign that caused the flood (as I had it right to the deck on the Munson last year and it flooded at 89 feet this time). The real bummer is missing out on the footage as the vis was phenomanal and the light was good for the Munson (full sunlight on the surface).
It dried out faster than my drygloves. Next project should be a dry glove dryer.

Boogie711:
AKA old hair dryer.
Is that what you've used? I'd think a hair dryer wold get too hot. Suppose you get could get one with a low or no heat setting. I was thinking of some small tubing (3/8" copper, 5 for each glove) fastened to a larger tube (manifold) so that one tube would lead to each finger tip. A small fan to supply air and it should dry fairly rapidly.

Groundhog246:
Is that what you've used? I'd think a hair dryer wold get too hot. Suppose you get could get one with a low or no heat setting. I was thinking of some small tubing (3/8" copper, 5 for each glove) fastened to a larger tube (manifold) so that one tube would lead to each finger tip. A small fan to supply air and it should dry fairly rapidly.

I'm just thinking out loud. But for sure, you're right - low heat. But heck - it's just a hair dryer. I doubt that even on high setting that it would be hot enough to melt plastic, considering the danger that could cause to a human scalp???

I would think if you have an old hair dryer that you don't care about, with a medium heat setting, it's worth trying. Heck of a lot easier than fashioning a tubing contraption, as a starter.

I can tell you from experience that many hair dryers do get hot enough to melt plastic and hot enough to burn you if you touch the wrong spot. They generally have 750 to 1500 watt heaters. That's the same as you're average electric space heater. They stay cool only by virtue of the very high air flow. Slow down the flow (stick the end in a glove?) and the heat rises. They do have overtemp protection to prevent them starting a fire.

Bsides, you know me. I'm always up for building a 'contraption'. It's only lack of funds that slows my buidling rate down. :)

The trick with the hairdryer to turn it on & off so it doesn't over heat. And honestly, the cheap little folding travel dryers are the way to go. Awesome for drying skates too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom