Weekend run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The line can slide down into the fin and wedge pretty good, and if your in a spot where you can't easily get your hand down to it, it can be very hard to get the line out of here

Capture.JPG

By flipping it inside out, there is no longer that spot for it to get down into, the extra flappy piece and that crack is toward the inside

Good example of where I knew something was an issue and my attitude was "I'll get around to fixing it" I shouldn't have kept putting it off :p

Capture.JPG

Rick, I 'had' the same issue with my DS fins (thought have never run into a problem--I knew the way to fix it--lazy I guess), your post did the same for me...'motivation', took care of that fin strap issue last evening. Thanks

Yea I've ran nothing but spring straps until recently so I just kept putting it off too.

Something else I see a lot of people "put off" and shrug their shoulders to is the pee valve bolt. I used to shrug my shoulders about it too, and figured if it got on the line i would just sweep it off with my hand no big deal.

One time, in a small cave in the dark I was swimming along behind my buddy and then we couldn't move anymore. The lights where out and all I could hear was breathing and the sound of tanks banging on rock for a good 5 minutes - easily 5 minutes.

We were doing a lights out drill sharing air in a restriction and on the way out something happend to where we just couldn't move forward anymore. At some point I realized we were stuck on something, first instinct was we were stock on rock so we all just kept trying to move with what space we had and it just wasnt working. I was donating air to my buddy in front of me and I was laying on one of his legs as he kicked me into the ceiling, there just wasn't much room to work with. I finally got him to stop kicking and then I moved myself around, back and forth, side to side and determined I wasn't stuck, I then grabbed his legs and tried to pull him backwards and he was stuck, but I could move him up down and side to side so he was obviously hung on something.

It took us quite a while to find out what it was, his pee valve bolt was riding againts the line and it turned the bolt, it screwed the bolt down tight enough onto the gold line that we were not going anywhere, I was amazed at how tight that thing got.

After it was all over we talked about it, we were amazed at how long it took to solve the problem and decided we only would use the bolts by keeping them screwed in and only unscrew when we needed them. I didn't like that, I kept forgeting to unscrew it and I'd balloon up catheters or blow them, neither of which is fun, or I would forget to screw it back in, I managed to get the bolt caught on a line again, not nearly as bad as the first time but enough to start taking it very seriously,

I don't dive with a bolt anymore and everytime I see one sticking out on someone I say "hey, you know thats a hazard right?" and everyone says the same thing that usuallys starts like "yyyyeeaaaa I know but......"

:) you won't see a bolt on my leg - ever

I like spring strap better myself, but have just 'put-off' the purchase on these fins.....all my other 3 sets of fins have them,,,, time to dive and procrastination, just a couple of the worst things in scuba. :)

I like springs a lot better than straps but I'm trying my best to keep my feet light now. My 108's are long for sidemount and move a lot of weight toward my feet so I abandoned my Turltes and switched to slipstreams.

I use Slipstreams and just love them....great control and light. I have a pair for wet and dry diving (dang DS moon boots, caused me to get a larger fin size for the DS--lol).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom