weight belt failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a useful thread for newer divers, in particular, and hopefully a number of them will read it. Thanks for starting the discussion by sharing your experience.
XJJoe01:
I am a new diver with about 5 dives since my OW certification. . . . About 15 minutes and 32 feet into our dive, the belt broke, literally tore apart were the pouch was sewed to the belt. I grabbed the belt and got my dive buddy's attention. My feet floated towards the top placing me into a headstand while I checked my air pressure and depth (confirmed 32 feet and 2600 psi). My dive buddy and I tried to put the belt back on, but at this stage, we didn't know it had torn at this time, and decided to surface. I held onto the belt, got my head in the correct position and slowly ascended to the surface with my dive buddy. I tried to put the belt back on, but with no luck and this is when we noticed the belt was torn and we snorkeled back to shore. . . . is there anything we should have done differently?
First, I will echo the comments of others - kudos to you on how you and your buddy handled the situation! It sounds like you kept your wits about you, didn't panic, made a reasonably controlled ascent, and after determining the belt was not repairable, called the dive. So, from my perspective, you handled it appropriately, and I don't know what you might have done differently. While a catastrophic weight belt failure is very uncommon, it does happen.
XJJoe01:
Since then, I bought a new heavy duty traditional weight belt and new weights, since on the surface, the belt broke again and sank
If I understood the original question correctly, you asked if you should have handled the situation differently, at the time it occurred. But, at the same time, if your question was (also) directed to your subsequent decision to purchase a 'traditional' web belt, I will add my thoughts to some of the very good suggestions already made.
XJJoe01:
I was diving with a trident weight belt with built in pouches and I had about 14 KGs of weight in it. I was diving with a regular BCD and was wearing a full body 5mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves.
As several posters have stated, the goal is to optimize BOTH the actual amount of weight you carry AND the distribution of that weight. You are wearing a moderate amount of neoprene, and that certainly contributes to your weight requirement. I did not see in the thread a more specific description what BCD you are using (other than the initial 'regular BCD' comment), but there are a number of units - jacket and back-inflate alike - that possess inherent, and substantial, positive buoyancy - they have a lot of needless padding, etc., - and that probably added to your weight requirement. I did not see mention of the cylinder you are diving, but as a new diver there is at least a reasonable possibility that you were using an AL80. In any event, I am reluctant to conclude from afar that you were over-weighted - maybe you were (14 kg is quite a bit), maybe you weren't. Recommending a proper weight check is the best course with regard to that issue.

But, what else can you do, in addition to purchasing a traditional web belt, going forward?

1. The trim pockets you have already ordered are a GREAT idea. In addition to moving weight off the belt, you are moving it 'up', toward your head which should help with your trim. Most / many new divers, end up training in, and adopting after certification (because they don't know any better, and weren't taught any better), a 45 degree head up posture in the water, which is simply poor form (and extensively discussed elsewhere on SB in other threads). But, it is an understandable consequence of putting possibly too much weight on the waist, so that weight is lower on the body than the point (center) of primary lift. Many divers benefit from shifting weight off their waist, to a position higher on their body. Trim pockets on the cylinder cam bands are a good way of doing that.

2. If you were using an AL80, consider moving to a steel cylinder (LP or HP) which will also reduce the 'added weight' requirement, essentially shifting some weight from your belt to your back, and also to a point higher on your body.

3. Move to a less inherently buoyant BCD. I am not trying to open once again the BPW vs jacket BCD debate, instead just pointing out that some units add unnecessarily to your weight requirement, and there are ways to adjust that. You are not diving in warm tropical water, in a shorty. You are in cold water with thick neoprene, so you don't have to worry about being intrinsically over-weighted using a steel plate, or a non-buoyant BCD unit. Many divers unwittingly add substantially to their weight requirement by buying / using a BCD that is uselessly buoyant. It is not a matter of the lift capacity of the BCD at all, rather it is the inherent buoyancy of the unit

4. As an aside, I am not sure which Trident belt you were using - there are three (http://www.tridentdive.com/361-end.pdf) that come to mind. a. The more common one I see (unfortunately), particularly with newer divers, is the neoprene belt. It is a piece of junk, and (like more than a few Trident items, unfortunately) the construction is a bit cheesy, so I would not be altogether surprised if it failed. b. Trident also distributes a somewhat more durable cordura, zippered belt, but that is still a Trident product. c. The other Trident belt is the one with more durable pocket construction. Failure of this one would be less likely, but still possible. In addition, depending on which model - of any of the three - you were using, you may have been exceeding the belt capacity - according to your post, you were wearing 14 kgs, which put you right at / above, the capacity for most of the models. In any event, you were probably pushing the limits of the equipment and I would suggest you are fortunate it failed under relatively controlled conditions, because it gives you the opportunity to move to a better gear configuration.

Last edited:
Thank you for a great reply. Where I live, US mail takes at least 2 weeks to arrive; a hardware store had a spear fishing weight belt with the normal right hand release that I bought along with new weights so I can continue to go diving I wait for the following to arrive in the mail: bp/w and reg set from DRIS and the weight pockets.from Amazon. I want to perform a solid weight check before.I go diving and then again when the nwe gear. I want.to.be.a safe and smart diver. Thank you to all who posted with suggestions.

Sent from my LG-P710 using Tapatalk

Use less weight? That's an awful lot of weight for a 5 mm suit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom