weight belts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba~dog

Registered
Reaction score
what is the maximum weight i can put in an intregrated BCD? I hate weight belts, but until I can get some this weight off is it my only option? I am diving with 50lbs of weight.:confused:

Scuba~dog once bubbled...
what is the maximum weight i can put in an intregrated BCD? I hate weight belts, but until I can get some this weight off is it my only option? I am diving with 50lbs of weight.:confused:

that's scary dude.

Why are you wearing 50lbs of weight?

Well I have taken off alot of weight since December and I am proud of myself! I was asking for an answer not a remark.Thanks though!

Well unfortunately that what it takes to keep me down. But with some more weight loss I am sure it will get better. I just hate this frickin weight belt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't realize what forum this was. My apologies.

Scuba~dog once bubbled...
what is the maximum weight i can put in an intregrated BCD?

It depends on the specific BC, but your looking at 8-12 lbs per pocket, so 16-24 lbs. You could also look at putting weight in other places... on your tank straps, on your tank itself...

Your post seems to imply that you are shopping for a new BC, and that you don't have integrated weighting currently... If that's the case have you thought about going with the backplate and wings route? You could get a FredT 9 lb backplate with a 5 lb single tank adaptor, and right there takes 14 lbs off your belt. Likewise if you look at Faber steel tanks, you're looking at dropping another 10 lbs or so from what aluminum tanks are.

So Faber steel tanks [more negative than most], a 9 lb backplate and 5 lb STA would knock 24 lbs off the belt, then a couple integrated pockets on your harness with 5 lbs each brings you down to a 16 lb belt. Another plus with BP/Wings is they don't seem to be as bouyant in general as BCs are, so you'd loose the weight that is compensating for the extra bouyancy of the BC.

Just a few alternate ideas...

If you can afford it you may want to look into a DUI Weight and Trim harness. You don't have the weights on your hips, each pocket can hold 10lbs. for a total of 40 lbs. I dove with one for the first time on my last dive and didn't even feel it with 20 lbs. in it. I work with a lot of tech. divers and they all like it. It is highly adjustable so it can stay with you as you loose weight. :D I have been shopping womens BC and it seems most max out at 32 but I also read a review at Rodale that said some brands didn't live up to their specs. while others could hold more.
As to the amount of weight you are wearing, ignore the remarks, I am 130lbs. and the guy I dive with, who wears 16lbs., can't believe it takes 28 lbs. to keep me down, women just float better. :eek:ut:

Nudibranch once bubbled...
As to the amount of weight you are wearing, ignore the remarks, I am 130lbs. and the guy I dive with, who wears 16lbs., can't believe it takes 28 lbs. to keep me down, women just float better. :eek:ut:

BS.

Well if you want to get into the physiology behind it- fat content in females is higher than that in males no matter what your weight is. I was trying to be more light hearted and less technical about it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom