Weight for BP vs BCD: Is there a typical % drop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one thing I'm wondering about with making this switch is having no pockets. I usually put my foldable snorkel, gloves and flashlight in my BCD. Maybe slate or other things as required.
How is this normally dealt with in a BP setup?
A few different options. Usually suit pockets; my drysuit has those, and for wetsuits I have shorts with pockets (or I glue them on). Backup light is attached to the shoulder D-ring. I never really missed my BCD pockets when I switched, but your milage may vary.

Lots of options... See: BC Accessory Pockets | Dive Gear Express® for several. I have a couple of different size dive-rite pockets that if I need to carry something I slip onto my waist strap.

Ah, great. Thanks for this.

Still gonna use it as an excuse to simplify what I carry. Just have this to carry what I need for that dive.

I'm a newbie diver but transitioned to BP/W a couple years ago. 5'10 170lbs First 2 years of diving I rented standard jacket BCs and always wore 10lbs on a belt when diving a 3ml wetsuit and AL80. Since swapping to SS BP/W I wear no additional weights (no wetbelt) and feel completely neutral at safety stop, finishing dives with no air in my wing. I add 4 lbs on a weightbelt when diving with 3/5 hooded vest under my 3ml. Have a 20lb wing for warm water diving, and a 30lb wing in case I dive cold water and thick wetsuits. I have not got my weighting perfected in the cold water setup.

Love the BP/W. Feels very stable, no fussing with weight belt. The only negative thing is lack of pockets, but to be honest I dont really carry anything that needs to go into a pocket for my simple rec dives. Lights on chest DRings, Spool/DSMB on butt DRing, compass and computer on wrists. Slate on forearm, but rarely carry that.

2 lbs of aluminum on land doesn’t equal 2 lbs underwater. Aluminum gets much lighter under water. if you had 5 lbs of aluminum and 5 lbs of stainless on dry land and took them underwater the stainless would be heavier underwater.
Stainless is much denser so much better mass to weight ratio.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom