Weight pockets and $$$$$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I lost a quick release oceanic probe weight pocket yesterday and need to get another one but they are so so so expensive. 60 bucks for just the pocket. Come on. Where can I get cheap ones or who has extras and I'll send you a check

Probably not what you are looking for but a weight belt is pretty cheap! Easy to ditch too.

I agree about the price of pockets! Thankfully with my new setupI don't use any weights.

Yeah one thing I can't stand is when companies have you by the 'nads and milk you for every penny. $60 for weight pockets is a prime example.

I always appreciate companies that are more reasonable about their prices even though it might be exclusive items that can only be purchased through them.

kinda after the fact, and doesnt answer your original question.....i never take my weights out of my BCD. see people take em out after every dive.

keep an eye on fleabay. see one for 150 complete. you could take both weight pouches, and sell it as is, probably come out better than buying one for 60 bux

eBay for sure. In the meantime, use a weight belt, since it might be a while before the proper one one comes along.

Yea, Ebay and or weight belt.

I lost a quick release oceanic probe weight pocket yesterday and need to get another one but they are so so so expensive. 60 bucks for just the pocket. Come on. Where can I get cheap ones or who has extras and I'll send you a check

Assuming you lost it underwater, call Oceanic and tell them that their weight pocket design is defective because it fell out unexpectedly, and you want a free replacement or a free new BC that uses something more than wishful thinking to retain the weights.

Weights shouldn't be able to fall out unless you want them to.

flots.

Really flots? I know a diver who lost two different weight pockets on two different bc's. We don't know what happened, but the company is automatically wrong, why? disclaimer I do not work for Oceanic, I do not sell Oceanic, but I think each diver should be responsible for themselves. I dive frequently and I don't see a glut of Oceanic weight pockets everywhere so how can you say with certainty it is a defective design? While it is an unfortunate accident and one that will result in financial loss to the OP, and thank goodness that all.

Agree. I had a Probe and used it for the first two years I was diving. Never had a pocket come loose that was installed correctly and not over stuffed. The capacity on the pockets on mine (and I'd guess it was not changed) was 10 lbs per pouch. When I first started diving dry I needed that until I realized how stupid it was to put that much weight in one place. Using 28 lbs with a dry suit and al 80 that meant 10lbs in each pouch and 4 in each trim pouch. So over a 1/3 of my weight in one place. That was when I went back to the belt along with the integrated pockets. After that no more than 4 lbs went in each pouch. I know you can stuff more than 10 in as I saw others do it.

The other issue was the BC was so damn heavy with all that lead in it. I'm sure not loading it to it's full capacity was very good for it.

Agree. I had a Probe and used it for the first two years I was diving. Never had a pocket come loose that was installed correctly and not over stuffed. The capacity on the pockets on mine (and I'd guess it was not changed) was 10 lbs per pouch. When I first started diving dry I needed that until I realized how stupid it was to put that much weight in one place. Using 28 lbs with a dry suit and al 80 that meant 10lbs in each pouch and 4 in each trim pouch. So over a 1/3 of my weight in one place. That was when I went back to the belt along with the integrated pockets. After that no more than 4 lbs went in each pouch. I know you can stuff more than 10 in as I saw others do it.

The other issue was the BC was so damn heavy with all that lead in it. I'm sure not loading it to it's full capacity was very good for it.

I completely agree. When I was diving my Dimension I had to put 28lbs on with my 7mm 2 piece. 20 of it was piled around my stomach. Weight integration is sold as the greatest thing since sliced bread but I much prefer a belt. It distributes the weight evenly, is just as ditchable, doesn't put stressv on the BC while carrying it, and they are cheap. If I ever went back to a traditional bc instead of bp/w I think I would still use a belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom