Weight Pockets on Scubapro Litehawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stewartlife

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I’m looking for travel BC and came across Scubapro Litehawk, which I think might suit me. (I was considering Aqualung Zuma, but it doesn’t have buckle on shoulder straps for quick release, and no trim pockets either).

But after looking at the limited number of video reviews on YouTube, Iam wondering whether we can use the 2 pockets on the sides as weight pockets? If yes, how to do that: just put weights bare inside? Or any additional accessories needed?

Also, same question for the trim pockets: just put the weights bare inside, or are there any additional accessories needed?

Many thanks in advance for the insights!

I had an older version of the LiteHawk for my son, but the pockets seemed similar to what the current pictures show. The pockets are not very big (From recollection: maybe enough for a total of 5lbs each - possibly in a 2+3)

I inverted the pockets and we used hard weights in them.
  • Pro: Having the pocket opening downward helped to have the weights come out if you want.
  • Con: Having the pocket opening downward helped to have the weights come out if you don't want (Possibly causing an out of control ascent)
  • The dump is not a positive, controlled extraction like a 2- piece sleeved/pouched system. To mitigate - I weave a loop of paracord through my weights and let a small tail hang out the bottom of the pocket so that I can pull the weights out if required for dumping or (more careful) unloading.
The one we had used a 2" waist belt, so you can add a more sophisticated, purpose-built set of weight pockets if you wish as well as other utility pockets, knives, canister lights, etc. as needed. I prefer this to a requirement to use manufacturer (or worse) BC-specific system components. It was a nice minimalist back-inflate BC that can be accessorized with generic additions.

The dump is not a positive, controlled extraction like a 2- piece sleeved/pouched system.
Thank you for the reply! Just to confirm, so the original design is for the weight lead to be inserted bare into the pockets? And not into some kind of “official” Scubapro pouches accessory that I have to purchase separately as an option (not sure if such thing exists)?

I use XS weight pouches in mine. And trim weight in back pockets. I took off the stock pockets.

Thank you for the reply! Just to confirm, so the original design is for the weight lead to be inserted bare into the pockets? And not into some kind of “official” Scubapro pouches accessory that I have to purchase separately as an option (not sure if such thing exists)?
I never found anything "official" about using the included pockets for weights (or not). As far as I know there are no specific add-ons for those pockets If you decide to use them for weights, it is just bare weights. This was a limited bridge use for him and arguably somewhat risky in an absolute sense since there is no "secondary" locking on those buckles (That said there are more than a few weight pouches that have come out of dedicated pocket systems in the middle of a dive due to user-error or bad/marginal design.)

For purpose-built quick dump pockets there are styles with and without inner pouches. If you have to carry a lot of weight and it is helpful to hand-it-up at the end of the dive, the clip-in ones with an inner pouch seem to be handy for folks. I don't tend to use a huge amount on the waist and prefer the simplicity and lower profile of direct quick-dump pockets.

I'd suggest that you look a Dive-Rite, OMS, and (as @brsnow indicated above) XS-Scuba to get a sense of the different types available.

Yes, bare, solid weights work well. I have been using a Litehawk as a cold water and a travel bc for 5 years. As @-JD- said, the pockets that come with the bcd will hold up to a 5# solid weight. I have used them as ditchable weight pockets without any issues. Turn them upside down and you are good to go. Also, the trim pockets worked well for me. I never had to use any additional pockets for trim, but everyone is different.
As for official SP weight pockets, I believe there are some available that will work with the Litehawk, but not made for the Lithawk. I went the less expensive route and added these Hog 10lb Weight Pocket for cold water use, then started using them for warm water when I started having to use a 5mm wetsuit for my trips.

Hope that helps, but would be glad to answer any other questions.
Erik

Thank you all for the replies, very insightful!

Then I’m wondering if this kind of inexpensive pocket/pouch to be inserted into Litehawk side pockets (rather then bare weights directly into Litehawk side pockets) — will it work? And safe (for emergency situation)? From the description each of this can fit 2kg weight.

And will the size fits the size of Litehawk side pockets? I can’t seem to find the measurement of Litehawk side pockets anywhere.

2374FF19-5C8B-4311-AEF2-CFCF9FFE53FA.jpeg

A659146F-D938-4874-803F-31F7F5AAED1C.jpeg

They look like they are stand-alone weight pockets. I don't think they would work with the LiteHawk pockets, and even if they could, I think it would be "a very bad idea." It would just make everything harder.

Get good quick-dumpable pockets, designed for the purpose.

I use ones (OMS and Zeagle) that have zippers for the normal loading and unloading, but have pull-handles and 2 sets of sequentially-operated velcro for dumping (pull up, out, down.) These are quite secure, but the dump-action does not directly remove the weights.

The pouch-in-pocket styles have the inner pouch clip into the outer pocket. When you activate the release, the handle is attached to the inner pouch and withdraws it and the weights positively.

The HOG pouches that @RIhposted are very affordable at $40/pair. Hopefully he can chime in again with how they are secured and dump.

The HOG pockets also have a zippered top for the loading and unloading of the weights. To dump your weights you pull the red strap on the upper front of the pouch in a downward motion to release the Velcro on the front panel from the Velcro on the body of the pocket. I have around 100 dives with these pockets, with up to 9 pounds on occasion, and they have never opened on me.
I like these pockets so much that I converted them into storage pockets when I was diving 3mm and using small weights that slid around too much in them. Took some figuring, and some cave line, but the worked great for holding a light, signal mirror, SMB, etc.

Thanks for the advice for not adding the weight pouch that I posted earlier, as it adds to complexity and making it slower to dump weights. Definitely safety is important and I don’t want to jeopardize that.

As for the HOG pockets, as I’m in Indonesia, I don’t think I can find it here.

So perhaps back to the basics of the options:
1) invert the side pockets upside down, put the weights bare inside, and use the clip as quick release to dump the weights down. I imagine it’s no different than other weight pockets that have hole in the bottom anyway, right?
2) use weight belts? though I’m still wondering in terms of trim, would weight belts actually better than weight pockets? (since we can more easily/flexibly adjust the position of the weights if on the belt)

Back
Top Bottom