Weight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivetheRock

Contributor
Reaction score
Clarenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys, I was wondering if I could get some help here from all you friendly vets and pros.
I haven't dived since end of Nov. 2006. At that time I weighed approximately 266 lbs. I was diving with various tanks, so obviously the extra weight I carried varied. Looking back over my log book, it seems that I carried in the range of ~ 32-38 lbs when diving these tanks.
To date, I have lost ~ 30 lbs (it fluctuates between 235-238 lbs most days). My question is, approximately how much less weight will I have to pack on me, seeing that I lost 30 lbs of bodyweight?
I am a novice, too, so I'm still playing with my buoyancy, of course, thus my weight is not completely tuned.
Thanks for any advice and input.

Your weight loss may equate to a few pounds. Will your wetsuit still fit snug enough to be effective?

With your uncertain cylinder history, change of weight, possible shift in body mass, loosely defined prior weight requirement and whatever else has changed you need to do a weight check as follows:

Remember to set your weight so that you bob vertically at eye level at the end of your dive with an empty BC, an average breath, your feet still (crossed) and about 500 PSI in your cylinder. A deep breath should get your mask out of the water and a deep exhale should sink your mask. Do all of this while breathing from your regulator. The end of the dive is the defining moment for your weight requirement and you want just enough to let you stay down in the shallows with a light cylinder.

For then initial dive get wet, do the check and add 5 pounds to approximate the weight of the air you will be using.

Pete

I seem to remember someone who seemed to know equating 11 pounds of fat to one of buoyancy, hence a few pounds for 25 as an estimate.

If you do a search for fat & buoyancy you may find it. I'm thinking that the discussion was last summer. As I said the other factors may negate any computation you make.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom