Weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Going Postal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently given two faber steel 95's. I was wondering how much weight I can drop since I won't be using rental Al 80's anymore. I've been using the standard 10% of body weight plus 15 lb, which is 32 lb. Which I feel is a little heavy. I use a 7mm full wet suit with a 5mm hooded vest.

Going Postal:
I was recently given two faber steel 95's. I was wondering how much weight I can drop since I won't be using rental Al 80's anymore. I've been using the standard 10% of body weight plus 15 lb, which is 32 lb. Which I feel is a little heavy. I use a 7mm full wet suit with a 5mm hooded vest.
~6lbs

yea i dropped about 7 when I went steal. Play around in the pool and you might be able to drop even more :)

A good site to bookmark is here. Using these data, you can determine what the change in buoyancy is whenever you change tanks.

I would go to the pool. Since the Faber 95's are low pressure they actually weight more than the al 80's as well as remain negative when empty. You should be able to drop more than 6 lbs easily

Use the buoyancy empty with valve column. An empty standard AL80 is +4, while the Faber 95 is -1.2, so a shade under 6 is indeed the right answer, assuming you are starting from a clean weight with an AL80.

Going Postal:
I've been using the standard 10% of body weight plus 15 lb, which is 32 lb. Which I feel is a little heavy. I use a 7mm full wet suit with a 5mm hooded vest.
Where did you come up with this as a standard? You are dangerously heavy at 32 lbs. I dive with Faber 95s, a 7mm full suit, and a 5mm hooded vest also. I weigh @200, and use 22 lbs in the ocean. The more you dive, the more weight you'll shed, but you are using way too much right now.

xSandman3:
Where did you come up with this as a standard? You are dangerously heavy at 32 lbs. I dive with Faber 95s, a 7mm full suit, and a 5mm hooded vest also. I weigh @200, and use 22 lbs in the ocean. The more you dive, the more weight you'll shed, but you are using way too much right now.

Okay, so he said he knows he is a little heavy at 32. The cylinder change gets him down to 26. 4 pounds extra is not a great way to dive but by the same token each of you have unique body mass and gear.

Formulas and diver/diver comparisons are of little value for determining baseline weight requirements. Formulas are effective for cylinder swaps and salt/fresh water transition.

Pete

xSandman3:

That weight is what we were told to bring with us to our OW dives. They also added 3 lb's to that, but I lost that on my 1st dive after that. I was plannning on dropping 1-2 lb's each dive until I zeroed in on my proper weighting. So I will try dropping 8lb next dive and see how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom