Weighting guide with stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sneb

New
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Next year I'm going to complete an SSI Normoxic Trimix course. I currently dive twin 12's (steel) with a steel backplate and a 4Kg V weight in the sea. I'm weighted correctly so I can hold a deco stop with around 40 bar at 6m then a safety stop around 5m. The majority of my diving tends to be multi level, which a appriecate is a little unusual, so I start off deep and finish the dives in the shallows meaning I don't carry a stage for most dives.

So the question is what is a general rule for diving with Ali 11 stages? as I'll have to carry two stages for the course, how much do you need to add on for each stage?

Will I also need more lead as adding Trimix as a back gas?

I'm happy to carry the extra weight but obviously it's pointless carrying more than I need. Hence I thought I'd ask.

thanks all

Don't add any more weight for the stages. The weight of your reserve gas (which will be substantial) will be enough to offset the positive buoyancy of the stages. If you get low on reserve gas, you can always send the stages up the smb line or drop them in a cave.

Empty with air/nitrox is pretty close to empty with helium, the difference is negligible.

Caveat at to all this is for big long cave dives with high helium gas and a bunch of stages, you might need to add a few pounds. But that's not what we're discussing here.

great, thanks for your reply

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom