Weighting with pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope he's not. Now your suit volume has to vary by around 3liters between the beginning and the end of the dive. It's also not scalable, try that with a large twinset and a few decos, it's gonna feel very funny.

No idea what you mean by any of your reply.

Maybe you could explain in a different way???

Between the beginning and the end of your dive, you lose 3kg of weight (your gas) on a "usual" tank (something like a 12-15l tank). So you have to start dumping air throughout the dive because of that.

Plus, if you try to use your drysuit as bcd with a large twinset (think 2x15l) and a few deco tanks, you now add an extra ~10l of gas in your suit.

So basically, sure, it's doable for simple dives because it's a small volume. It is however not correct, and being able to do it does not mean you're "properly weighted" at all.

Dove with my pony for the first time today outside of a pool. I was very lopsided. Felt very heavy overall. I sling it on my left side (I have a BP/W). Do I take some weight off my left side or not? Pony is 30 cft.

I'm currently diving dry with 31 lbs - steel BP and weighted STA are 11 lbs. Remainer of weight: 2 x 5 lbs in waist weight pockets, 2 x 3 lbs in upper cam band pouches, 2 x 2 lbs in lower cam band pouches. I have pouches on lower cam bands as I was stuffing 7 lbs in each waist pocket, but the Halcyon pockets are only rated for 5 lbs and the 2 extra pounds made getting the pockets closed very difficult. And, yes, I need a lot of weight. I'm naturally very buoyant, add drysuit and Fourth Element Arctic undies, and I'm floaty as hell. I've tried going a bunch lighter and I was a bobbing cork.
shouldn't have to move any weight.

Between the beginning and the end of your dive, you lose 3kg of weight (your gas) on a "usual" tank (something like a 12-15l tank). So you have to start dumping air throughout the dive because of that.

Plus, if you try to use your drysuit as bcd with a large twinset (think 2x15l) and a few deco tanks, you now add an extra ~10l of gas in your suit.

So basically, sure, it's doable for simple dives because it's a small volume. It is however not correct, and being able to do it does not mean you're "properly weighted" at all.

i don't dive with twinsets and I dive with steel tanks so weight loss is minimal. When I said "properly weighted" I should've said "i'm properly" weight. I have just enough air in my suit to take the pinch off and I have no use for my wing. I could put some in to be scubaboard dir, but i simply don't need to and i would probably have to put another kilo on my plate (not sure where) .

Could be because my suit is on the very close cut side?

All I was trying to suggest to a new diver is that basically there are exceptions to the scubaboard ruuuules.

There are exceptions to the scubaboard rules, but not to physics.

The mere fact you state "I dive with steel tanks so weight loss is minimal" shows how confused you are about proper weighting, sorry, that's now how it works. The material of the tank does not influence its buoyancy swing from full to empty.

not confused it's call real world experience. If you've done a dive with an ali tank and then a dive with a steel tank do you need as much weight? No.

At the end of the dive the steel tank does have enough negative buoyancy. you should try actually diving rather and speak from experience like i do.

Oh lowd.

If you have 3kg of air in your tank, and you breathe those 3kg out of the tank, the tank becomes 3kg lighter. Since the tank is attached to you, you've now become 3kg more buoyant. At which point did the material of the tank have an influence?
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

edit.

I can't be bothered to discuss this with you seeing as you're a keyboard warrior and would love to dive with you on a boat see your snobby attitude towards anyone doesn't dive the same way you do.

I have more important things to do today.

Bye.

Last edited:
I'm gonna abide my signature and give up on this one. Maybe someone else wants to give it a go...

"how much air is 3kg? what if nitrox any difference?", I'll simply let you look up scuba 101 and find how to link weight, density and volume. Alternatively you can find some tables online that will tell you the buoyancy swing of tanks between full and empty.

As for "i'm amazed anyone ever dived safely before they read your comments.", I never claimed they weren't.

I'm not offended by your diving, I'm simply shocked that you try and recommend ******** to people. So seeing this is read by beginners, (some) other divers kind of feel it's their job as well to explain when things are wrong. Whether people follow your "but muh instructor said" advice afterwards is not my business nor do I give a damn if they do. What I care about is for people to have facts on which to base their practice, and to think about what they do and why they do it.

"but my ins
I'm gonna abide my signature and give up on this one. Maybe someone else wants to give it a go...

"how much air is 3kg? what if nitrox any difference?", I'll simply let you look up scuba 101 and find how to link weight, density and volume. Alternatively you can find some tables online that will tell you the buoyancy swing of tanks between full and empty.

As for "i'm amazed anyone ever dived safely before they read your comments.", I never claimed they weren't.

I'm not offended by your diving, I'm simply shocked that you try and recommend ******** to people. So seeing this is read by beginners, (some) other divers kind of feel it's their job as well to explain when things are wrong. Whether people follow your "but muh instructor said" advice afterwards is not my business nor do I give a damn if they do. What I care about is for people to have facts on which to base their practice, and to think about what they do and why they do it.

Listen to an instructor who's logged 1000's of dives or some randomer online??

Easy for me.

Back
Top Bottom