Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well...here's what I've got from this. Positively buoyant at the surface, rubber belt with hard lead weights worn low on the hips, buoyancy significantly different between salt and fresh, sleds are fun but not practical for a newbie, dive with a buddy.

As for other gear, I'm using Apollo Bio-Split fins and an Omersub Alien mask with a purge snorkel.

Thanks to all for "weighing" in. :D

Dave

Well...here's what I've got from this. Positively buoyant at the surface, rubber belt with hard lead weights worn low on the hips, buoyance significantly different between salt and fresh, sleds are fun but not practical for a newbie, dive with a buddy.

Dave

It's not that simple! Well actually it is. :D

I recently got a black XS SCUBA with spring loaded stainless steel depth compensating buckle. It can use with solid or shot weight. It is a very comfortable belt for me since it is designed so the pouches do not touch your body; and I do not have to bend over to retighten my buckle in the middle of diving. I like the stainless steel versus plastic buckle. The stainless steel buckle though has only 2 slots vs the normal 3 slots. I paid under $48 for the belt and buckle with shipping to California. The lead costs extra. I have a friend that removes lead from indoor firing ranges that gives me lead. I also have a belt for solid weight and one of the first shot pouch weight belts made which I kept for back-up or loaner to a buddy.

I free dive and SCUBA dive Mendocino, Monterey, Carmel, water temp 48-54F with a one piece tridensity 9/7/6mm wetsuit. My rig is a SS Backplate/Wing. I'm set-up where I can just take off my BC and free dive without having to remove weight from my belt. For free diving, I am neutral at about 35' where I can give a gentle kick to start to the surface while holding a couple of abalone. I only free dive in about 10-40' for abalone and spearfishing. Most of my shots for ling cod and Cabezon while free diving are less than 25'. Most abalone I get at 20-35'. My friends can go deeper.

Attachments

• weight_belt.jpg
    weight_belt.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 46
  • ss_buckle.jpg
    ss_buckle.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 46
I'll make a slightly different recomendation....the advice so far is excellent for scuba divers, but for freediving I would suggest one of the freediving specific rubber belts that stretch quite a bit, and you slide the old style lead weights on them. When a freediver takes a deep breath, his stomach needs to expand to draw extra air in--for this to work optimally, the weigh belt needs to stretch--otherwise it would have to be so loose that it would instantly fall off your waist. This will also be lower drag than a scuba style weight belt with pockets.
Scuba divers typically do not consider drag as a big factor, but to a freediver it is a huge issue.
Dan

Thanks for this advice Dan,

I recently tracked down this set up and will get it wet soon. Just trying it on dry I can feel the comfort when expanding with air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom