Weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wide_open

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive with the Mach V 30 lb. wing, and I'm looking for advice on a new weight setup. My weight belt was taken, and I'm wondering what might be the best option.

Currently I do not have a STA on my wing, and have not missed it. I just saw that there is a 6 lb weighted STA available from OxyCheq for about $80. That is much more expensive than picking up a cheap belt. What benefits would I get from adding the 6lb STA instead of using a weight belt (apart from obviously not having to have AS much weight on my belt) ??

Thanks..

Did you ever get any response about this? After 3 emails (with no response) about the weight harness, I just gave up. Good ideas, but there doesn't seem to be anybody home...

Biggest benefit from a weighted STA is less weight on a belt. Depending on what school of thought you come from and if you have redundant lift( ie.. drysuit) Other factor is ..do you need an STA? I don't use one on my single AL80 BP/W kit. Oxycheq Mach V wing also. I find the soft STA built into the wing to be adequate.

Also think trim.

I use weight plates on my cold water BP/W because I want to balance the weight between my belt and my plate to make staying horizontal that much easier.

For some reason I didn't get the emails, but thanks anyway.

Instead of the STA, I decided to pick up Dive Rite's small transpac integrated weight pouches for the waist strap. Other than needing re-stitching after falling apart once, they have worked fine. Thanks for the feedback and happy diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom