Welcome back from Pompano

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a blast! We dived with South Florida Dive Headquarters all week and they were great, especially Capt. Dave. We had a large group, 35+, and they handled us all very well.

Every days diving started out on a wreck...Ancient Mariner, United Caribbean, Sea Emperor, Copenhagen, Rebel, Capt. Dan. The second dive was on a reef, some whose names seemed to changed daily!...3rd reef, Crab Cove, Turtle Reef, Horseshoe Reef, Sunkist Reef. One day we went to Tenneco Towers for some flag diving! The current was ripping along pretty well and didn't really improve much at depth. The Towers are really beautiful. I'd love to go back with less current. My elbows hurt the next day from the strain of hanging onto the line!

I didn't take any underwater photos on this trip. And I have to admit, it was nice to dive without a camera for a change. But I did miss photos of my first ever Jewfish. I even got thumped! He was coming out of a culvert at the Sea Emperor just as I was looking in. Don't know who scared who first! The Sea Emperor is where the SFDH does their Aqua Zoo dive feeding the wildlife. So although we didn't have food, the Rays, the Moray Eels, and all the other kinds of fish, came begging. The Rays were really great...they kept buzzing our heads and begging to be touched.

The reefs sort of reminded me of parts of Cozumel, especially all the barrel sponges. And I saw more Juvenille Spotted Drums, several on every reef, than anywhere else.

If you ever have a chance to dive Pompano Beach, DO IT!

I can't believe it. Aren't you like an underwater photography guru? :)

Sounds like a great trip, can't wait for my first blue water experience.

OBTW, what do you mean by "thumped".

I know...my husband couldn't believe I wasn't taking a camera. I had a camera in hand on my very first dive and there have been very few without one since then.

When Jewfish and some Grouper feel threatened, they do this thing, sort of like sound waves under water (like the kid down the street playing his radio way to loud and you feel it in your lungs?) It is their warning that you've invaded their space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom