Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear Orca team,
Warm regards on the great job you've done with the D620. I also love the goodman handle and it will be a gerat asset to the D630 as well.
Of course it is entirely up to you but I also think user replacable batteries instead of built-in pack would be the better option as it allows flexibility in transportation (weightwise) and each diver can control quiality of the cells and replace if necessary. Either way, I am sure D630 will be a star.
Regards,
Delyan

Dear Orca team,
Warm regards on the great job you've done with the D620. I also love the goodman handle and it will be a gerat asset to the D630 as well.
Of course it is entirely up to you but I also think user replacable batteries instead of built-in pack would be the better option as it allows flexibility in transportation (weightwise) and each diver can control quiality of the cells and replace if necessary. Either way, I am sure D630 will be a star.
Regards,
Delyan

Thanks for your suggestion. In order to get battery balancing of battery pack and increase each cell's longevity, we will use the battery pack for the D630.

The battery pack can achieve battery balancing that maximize the capacity of a battery pack with multiple cells (usually in series) to make all of the capacity available for use and increase each cell's longevity.

Typically, the individual cells in a battery have somewhat different capacities and may be at different levels of state of charge (SOC). This is due to manufacturing variances, assembly variances (e.g., cells from one production run mixed with others), different histories experienced amongst the cells in a battery pack (e.g., charging/discharging, heat exposures, etc.) and must be accounted for to maximize life and service of the particular battery pack in use. Each battery pack will be, for these reasons, somewhat different and so every balancing circuit must be able to accommodate those differences. Without effective and appropriate balancing, discharging during use must stop when the cell with the lowest capacity is empty (even though other cells aren't); this limits the energy that can be taken from and returned to the battery.

Dear Orca team,
Thank you for the time spent to explain this.
Looking forward to your new product range.
Regards,
Delyan

Each battery pack will be, for these reasons, somewhat different and so every balancing circuit must be able to accommodate those differences.

I understand why you would need a balancing circuit.

I don't understand why you can't build the battery circuit into a pack that has user-replaceable batteries. But, I guess the answer doesn't really matter. The D630 is what it is.

The question I have at this point is, are you going to come out with a version of the D620 that has a bigger battery pack? The D630 really has nothing in common with the D620, other than the same Goodman handle and that they are both canister lights. What I have been hoping for all this time was a new version of the D620, with a bigger battery pack. Do you think you'll ever offer that?

@OrcaTorch are your lights FL-1 certified? If not, you should consider certifying or sending samples for analysis to the people at wetestlights.com.

I agree with the others, it would be great if you could supply the D630 with an extra battery frame (perhaps without any batteries or charger) so that users could have the option to quickly swap out the battery pack so they don't have to wait for a charge. Even if this was an optional extra it would be well received I am sure.

The benefits of being able to swap out batteries cannot be understated (this is one of the reasons why the D620 is a wonderful torch, although the canister is too short for DIR style use).

However if you made the canister a sealed unit, with wet external charging contacts, this would be a different story.

On a smaller note, the large nut on the D620/630 goodman handle would benefit from a more aggressive and deeper cut knurling. I find it quite hard to tighten the nut once it is wet and slippy.

I understand why you would need a balancing circuit.

I don't understand why you can't build the battery circuit into a pack that has user-replaceable batteries. But, I guess the answer doesn't really matter. The D630 is what it is.

The question I have at this point is, are you going to come out with a version of the D620 that has a bigger battery pack? The D630 really has nothing in common with the D620, other than the same Goodman handle and that they are both canister lights. What I have been hoping for all this time was a new version of the D620, with a bigger battery pack. Do you think you'll ever offer that?

@stuartv , sorry, we do not have plan to build a version of D620 with a bigger battery pack. Even though we build it, it will be a different model that will be not compatible with the D620.

@OrcaTorch are your lights FL-1 certified? If not, you should consider certifying or sending samples for analysis to the people at wetestlights.com.

@kelemvor , yes, all our lights are measured according to the international flashlight test standards ANSI/NEMA FL1 under laboratory conditions.. Thanks for your suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom